Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS services involuntarily using data

I recenly moved to a mobile internet expensive country, and was contemplating getting a data plan, so to analyse how much data i will actually consume i downloaded an app called "my data manager""to see how much data i consume on wifi

"my data manager" gives a breakdown of what app is using how much data

I was shocked to see that OS services is using appx 200mb of data / night....THATS when im not even using the phone AT THAT RATE I WILL USE UP MY MONTHLY LIMIT IN A FEW DAYS

Can anyone tell me what OS Services is and how can i prevent it from sucking my data?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 3:08 PM

2 replies

Aug 29, 2012 8:32 AM in response to goudepik

same problem here, goude. I'm pulling or pushing 10kb/minute all the time from "os services"

Using my data manager's "my data timer" function, I have ruled out location services and email pushes since I turn those off and the usage continues at the same rate. The only thing that works is airplane mode, which is reassuring but not very helpful.

Aug 29, 2012 9:06 AM in response to goudepik

Settings -> General -> About -> Diagnostics & Usage, check "Don't Send"

Settings - > Location Services -> System Services, DISable all (doing this will NOT alter the normal function of your phone or apps in anyway).

One caveat I can mention to the second one above. I tried an free app called "Waze" which is a community based traffic app (pretty cool in many ways). It was having a very hard time getting a position and maintaining it while driving in some areas. Enabling "Compass Calibration" helped it to get and hold a fix while moving, although even the Waze developers never replied with an explanation why that would be.

Other than that, I have had all those settings disabled on my iPhone 4 since the day after iOS 5.0 was released and everything works just fine, but all the data otherwise sent to Apple for marketing and product development and so forth is not sent.

OS services involuntarily using data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.