Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fonts and commercial use

Not sure why it is so difficult to get a clear-cut answer on whether the fonts that come with a mac purchase are free for commerical use.

Anyone have a link to a sure-fire answer? Thanks in advance.

Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 3:06 PM

13 replies

Jul 5, 2012 3:26 PM in response to happymac.er

From the Lion license agreement:

F. Fonts. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you may use the fonts included with the Apple Software to display and print content while running the Apple Software; however, you may only embed fonts in content if that is permitted by the embedding restrictions accompanying the font in question. These embedding restrictions can be found in the Font Book/Preview/Show Font Info panel.

Jul 6, 2012 1:39 PM in response to happymac.er

Thanks for the help, Kurt, etresoft, and all. Whew! I am relieved. The font I used on some art work shows "yes" as embedabble on my mac. I mistakenly thought I had purchased a commercial license for a font I used on several pieces of art. Recently the art was licensed for production. Later I realized I had used a font that came with my mac. YIKES! 😮 Thus, the scramble began to find out if the font was free for commercial use. I am beyond relieved! 🙂 I appreciate your help Kurt, and all. Now I can breathe again!

Jul 6, 2012 1:51 PM in response to happymac.er

You're welcome.

Yes, you really have to watch for rights embedded in fonts. You can use them for pretty much anything you want when you're just printing stuff off at home. But when it comes to commercial use, ya' gotta watch 'em. 🙂

Luckily, the fonts Apple provides are pretty open for commercial use. If there is a restriction, it's usually that you must embed the font rather than sending the font itself along with the project.

Jan 14, 2015 3:02 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Hi Kurt,

I know this is an old article but I've been looking for an answer to my question and I think you can help me.

I do a lot of commercial work for clients who print t shirts. I want to use apple installed fonts (optima) to create a piece of art for my client.

The end product would be an outline/manipulated version of Optima having used Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator. Do I need to purchase the Optima font from someone else for this use or am I ok to use the installed font in this type of use? I've looked everywhere online and can't find a specific answer in this regard. It seems as though the big deal is in redistributing the fonts and embedding. Something I don't even have to worry about.

Thanks in advance,

Oskar

Jan 14, 2015 3:20 PM in response to Oskar Art

If you do a Get Info on the font, this is part of the copyright notice:

The digitally encoded machine readable software for producing the Typefaces licensed to you is now the property of Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG and its licensors, and may not be reproduced, used, displayed, modified, disclosed or transferred without the express written approval of Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG.

Which if I'm reading it right, is a long way of saying you can't copy the font data itself (the outlines) and modify or otherwise distribute them. However, I can't find any usage restrictions. If there are any, they should by listed in Font Book when you highlight that font.

Oct 10, 2015 8:48 PM in response to Kurt Lang

I want to use a font called Trattatello by James Grieshaber.

The fontbook info says:

Copyright (c) James Grieshaber, 2005. All rights reserved.

ription

I've spent half an hour on the web trying to find somehow to contact @JamesGrieshaber with no success. This site doesn't even list Trattatello:

http://www.identifont.com/show?5M6

You just wouldn't think it would be that hard.

So **** frustrating! Off to find a freebie @ http://www.1001fonts.com/free-fonts-for-commercial-use.html

Fonts and commercial use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.