Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help Me Choose

I'm hoping to get some advice on which Mac to purchase. I'm choosing ONLY between the base MacBook Pro Retina for $2200 and the maxed out MacBook Air (i7 2.0, 8GB RAM) also for $2200. Given that the two I'm choosing between are the exact same price, I'm having a lot of difficulty (assume I have a $2200 credit and have to spend it on one laptop and so that's why I'm choosing only between those two items).

I presently intend to primarily be using the laptop to browse and edit documents, i.e., I presently don't plan on doing any video editing or even any gaming on the laptop, but I guess you never know. I will also mostly be using the laptop in my house, although I may travel with it a couple of times a year. Finally, the extra 256 SSD is a nice to have, but not critical. I know this is an extremely personal decision, but any thoughts would still be greatly appreciated.

Airport Express-OTHER

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 2:52 PM

9 replies

Jul 5, 2012 3:18 PM in response to RMSko

Go with the Retina since.

Macbook Air - i7 Dual Core

Macbook Retina i7 Quad Core

Guess which is faster?

More than likely, more Retina screens are going to be offered by Apple and more Applications are going to support it in the future. Why get stuck with a MB Air with no Retina?

Since the price is the same, I'd take the Retina - Then again, I already ordered one.

Jul 5, 2012 3:46 PM in response to Bimmer 7 Series

I have both the iPad 2 and new iPad and honestly find very little difference in the regular vs retina screen. Yes, there is a difference, but IMO it's nothing like the difference between SD and HD. To me the 2 benefits of the PROr are the quad core and the video chip. The big negative is the size and weight (50% heavier than the Air). The primary question is whether I will ever need or benefit from the quad core and video chip. Based on present use, probably not, but who knows what the future brings. If the PROr was a 13" screen it would be a no brainer, but ...

Help Me Choose

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.