Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen will not rotate

Screen will not rotate

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 6:23 PM

If you see a lock icon in the upper right corner of the screen - then the screen orientation is locked.

Try the side switch above the volume rocker first and see if that unlocks the screen. If that doesn't do it, double tap the home button and swipe to the right and look for the lock icon all the way to the left.

If the screen is unlocked but still will not rotate, reset the iPad.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

You might want to read this about how the side switch works on the iPad.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2012 6:23 PM in response to Indufromca

If you see a lock icon in the upper right corner of the screen - then the screen orientation is locked.

Try the side switch above the volume rocker first and see if that unlocks the screen. If that doesn't do it, double tap the home button and swipe to the right and look for the lock icon all the way to the left.

If the screen is unlocked but still will not rotate, reset the iPad.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

You might want to read this about how the side switch works on the iPad.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

Nov 9, 2013 2:05 PM in response to Indufromca

Had my first ever iPad - the 'air' - for 3 days and was disappointed with it not rotating from portrait to landscape whatever I did, side switch, control panel, reboot - all of that and ready to take back to the shop.

However, I continued to explore and when I went into iMovie it immediately went into landscape. When I came out of iMovie it started to work as expected, rotating the display as I rotate the iPad. Why - who knows?

Screen will not rotate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.