Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install firmware update prior to or after clean installing os x Lion?

Just bought a new SSD I plan to swap into my MacBook pro (mid 2010 6.2). I plan on clean installing osx Lion and thought I would try to make the installation go as smoothly as possible by updatingthe firmware, if needed, on both the new drive and the MacBook pro.

Model: MacBook Pro 6,2 (mid 2010) - 15" i5 2.4ghz

Current Boot ROM: MBP61.0057.B0C

I found updated firmware for my model MacBook pro: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

"MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) MacBookPro6,2 MBP61.0057.B0F (EFI 2.6)"

"System Requirements

OS X Lion 10.7.3 or later"

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1492

I'm wondering if I need to wait until os x Lion is installed before I install this update? Perhaps it will automatically via "software update" after Lion is installed. It looks like the fix is pertains to osx Lion functionality, so maybe it would've already been downloaded via software update if Lion was installed as opposed to snow leopard which is what I have currently.

The article says " If you are unsure whether your computer needs a particular update, simply download and open the update installer. The installer will alert you if the firmware update is already installed or not needed."

Which update installer are they referring to and where can I get it?

I thought it'd be better to update the firmware prior to installing the os, but maybe that's just an old habit I picked upnwhile using windows. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), mid 2010 6,2 15" 2.4 core i5

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 10:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 10:10 PM

Lion will ask you to install it when you finish the installation, so don't worry about that. You can also download the update and install it manually

8 replies

Jul 5, 2012 11:02 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Thanks for the reply. I did check my current boot ROM/firmware and listed it in my original post. There appears to have been 2 firmware updates for my model but it's now my understanding that since I haven't upgraded to Lion that they weren't included in any auto updates for snow leopard.

I'll wait til I auto update while/after clean installing Lion on the new SSD.

Apr 8, 2013 10:01 PM in response to o_m_r

Update:

By the time I finally did the SSD installation OS X Mountain LIon had been released. Although my chosen SSD (Samsung 830) doesn't allow for a firmware update unless SATA connected to a Windows system (or if you were to have some version of Windows installed on your mac), it was luckily already updated with the latest firmware.

I made a boot disc (on an external HDD) in Snow Leopard using the OS X ML .dmg.

I then did the swap of the included HDD with the SSD (I also upgraded the RAM to the max 8GB), and booted from the external HDD containing the boot disc, then proceeded to install OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

...everything went smoothly and quickly.

I have had no issues with the installations and upgrades, and OS X Mountain Lion has worked extremely well with my mid 2010 Macbook Pro (15" unibody, 6,2). I have noticed some system taxing while being connected to a Cinema Display (the graphics card included with this system is a little weak), but otherwise pretty good. This particular SSD is, or at least was one of, if not arguably the best consumer SSD on the market, and is overkill for this system, i.e. model MacBook Pro. But it was priced at the time such that it was no additional expense to go with it vs a better matched SSD for this system's specs and capabilities.

I have yet to enable TRIM through OS X, and think that might be of benefit and is on my agenda.

Pertaining to my other original concern regarding updating the firmware of the MacBook Pro and whether it need to or could be done prior to upgradin the OS, that issue was solved, regardless of choosing Lion or Mountain Lion, by OS X software update automatically. Something I've never experienced with Windows 😉

Thanks again to mende1 for the help with my questions/concerns.

Install firmware update prior to or after clean installing os x Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.