Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Project glut

TIme was, back when, you accumulated a bunch of one kind of thing in a certain video edit you create a bin and dump everything in there and they were out of the way and you knew how to find them.

Well with FCPX I just created 16, 17 "Projects" within one "Event" (oh how I hate this terminology) and now I have this endless stack of timelines that I have to sift through constantly. Similarly, in the "Events" window I have this endless list of clip names that surely could be broken down into an organizational structure, gee, maybe something called a "bin" or something?

Is there no way to create something in FCPX that is analogous to the bins of old; a folder perhaps with a reveal triangle that I have only to click upon to expose the contents? This new way of organizing things is madening to me.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 9:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 12:21 AM

Any projects that you don't need at present can be dragged from their Final Cut Projects folder and put into a folder named Final Cut Projects - Hidden.

Do the same with the events.

When you need them again you simply drag them back.

Note that you have to shut down FCP X whilst you are moving them as they only reappear when FCP X is relaunched.

It wastes a minute or so doing it but at least the interface looks a bit less cluttered.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2012 12:21 AM in response to Brunettin

Any projects that you don't need at present can be dragged from their Final Cut Projects folder and put into a folder named Final Cut Projects - Hidden.

Do the same with the events.

When you need them again you simply drag them back.

Note that you have to shut down FCP X whilst you are moving them as they only reappear when FCP X is relaunched.

It wastes a minute or so doing it but at least the interface looks a bit less cluttered.

Jul 6, 2012 4:32 AM in response to somanna

Hello there. Too early has been the statement ; 'digested'! Tried placing one event from my Final Cut Events on my External HD to a brand new folder I had christened 'Final Cut Events - Hidden'...but I do not know how to get this event into that folder. Should I cut and paste it or do I make a duplicate of the same and lodge it in the hidden folder after which I delete the older event?

What are the implications of such moves upon FCPX's future uptake of such events?

DR.SOMANNA

Jul 6, 2012 5:40 AM in response to somanna

What Ian meant was: move it using the Finder.

Or, as a more "hands-off" alternative, use the "Event Manager" application. This $5 piece of software allows you to turn events and projects "on" or "off" using just simple checkboxes. But behind the scenes it achieves its magic by moving folders around, just like you would do yourself in the Finder:

User uploaded file

To "reenable" the Event, drag it back to the "Final Cut Events" folder.

IMPORTANT: do these operations in the Finder while FCP X is NOT running!

Jul 6, 2012 6:33 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis, I was so eager to carry out what you had done. I realised why I was unable to do so earlier. I was viewing in the 'wrong view' mode. When I selected the view you had shown [the third option from left which one has under 'View'], I was able to drag the folder into the hidden category. My happiness got diluted when I realised that my FCPX was running when I was doing all this dragging about! I have re-dragged the event from the hidden to the unhidden folder and am hoping that FCPX will take all this dragging about of its contents in a user-friendly manner. One feeling of comfort over this issue is this: this particular event is not included in the active project I am right now working on.

Yes, I have been learning about the ease with which one can get these things done in a jiffy by way of the Event Manager. I was keeping off from this gentleman as was at that time wondering how to go about the process of upgrading my FCPX from version 2 to 5. Now since that has been done without a hiccup, I should seriously consider buying this gentleman who allows himself to be purchased so cheaply!

DR.SOMANNA

Jul 6, 2012 10:28 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Wow...okay. First let me stress that I coulda sworn I tried the right-click (or control-click, if you prefer) thing and I swear I never saw the option to create folders. It's true I've been working Macs since 1994 and was late in coming to the more-than-one button mouse but I AM getting much better at that!

But all that aside, THANK YOU Tom Wolsky. That's exactly what I was asking for. I can see again!

One thing tho, I was able to create folders with abandon in the Events Library however I created one in the Projects Library and it would not let me create another. The option went gray. It wasn't until I retarted FCP that I was able to create another, albeit only one once again. Odd.

...but hey, thanks again!

Project glut

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.