Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what's the best free virus program for Mac?

What's the best free virus program for the Mac?Not just for viruses, but removing all the duplicate folders and tuning up my mac.

I'm not exactly sure what all the Activity Monitor stuff is, but I know when my

Mac is sluggish and slow. Any ideas? (No, MacDefender is not a possibility)😉

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 1:25 AM

10 replies

Jul 6, 2012 1:28 AM in response to Rudylover

What's the best free virus program for the Mac?

You will find this User Tip on Viruses, Trojan Detection and Removal, as well as general Internet Security and Privacy, useful:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2435

The User Tip (which you are welcome to print out and retain for future reference) seeks to offer guidance on the main security threats and how to avoid them.

Not just for viruses, but removing all the duplicate folders and tuning up my mac.

That is a different question all together. Many problems are caused by not keeping sufficient free space on your start-up drive, which should be at least 25GB or more.

Jul 6, 2012 5:59 PM in response to Rudylover

Rudylover wrote:

What's the best free virus program for the Mac?Not just for viruses, but removing all the duplicate folders and tuning up my mac.

I am not aware of any program that meets those needs and is free. If there was it would probably cause you as many problems as the ones they sell.

Thomas Reed lists some free alternatives in his article http://www.reedcorner.net/beware-mackeeper/ .

Randy Singer has some ideas in this article http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html#software .

Jul 6, 2012 8:20 PM in response to Rudylover

A sluggish and slow Mac can have nothing to do with malware and/or duplicate files.

If you realy want a free anti-malware tool clamav (already mentinoed) and the free Sophos product are reputable solutions.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-ed ition.aspx

Common casues of slowdowns are not enough memory, and not enough free HD space on your boot drive.

There will be varying opinions, but sometimes ensureing you have a reliable backup (better yet, 2) of your data, erasing the HD and re-installing the OS can be a good idea. It is certainly overkill in some/many situations, but you can spend a lot of time trying to figure out exactly why you Mac is slowing down if there's some sort of software issue, and not just a lack of memory, storage, CPU speed, etc...

You may also consider posting as much info as possible about your setup and when it slows down. There could certainly be a simple fix, but you'll need to privide the good folks here more info....ther are a lot of folks who know way more than I do who may give you a more simple and elegant solution.

Jeff

Jul 19, 2015 12:43 AM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

How can ever be shown to be effective when there are no active Mac Virus?

I receive requests for help handling infected files on their Mac almost every day. Most are Windows only or potential phishing e-mails, but probably once a week there will be at least one OS X Trojan or Adware infection found. And that's only from user that need help. I have no idea how many others there might be.

But you are mostly correct in that the only known Mac Viruses found in-the-wild are Word Macro Viruses targeting small groups they hope have not kept their software fully up-to-date. Everything else are other types of Mac Malware, most of which are prevented by the OS X Quarantine, Gatekeeper and XProtect systems. Only Adware and Tech-Support scam pop-ups are prevalent in today's environment.

Jul 19, 2015 5:36 AM in response to MadMacs0

But you are mostly correct in that the only known Mac Viruses found in-the-wild are Word Macro Viruses targeting small groups they hope have not kept their software fully up-to-date.

More than mostly correct, as those Word Macro Viruses only apply to Office for Windows users, not Office for Mac users.

what's the best free virus program for Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.