Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

McAfee Scan not working

Tried to scan Mac this morning: got message "unknown errors received from scanners".

So tried McAfee's Virtual Technician (sort of automatic help service) which reported '1.0.0.2 - platform not supported' against Internet Security, Application Protection, Desktop Firewall and Antimalware.

So then tried to get McAfee's email support, but it doesn't seem to be available to us here (in UK).

Then tried their 'Live Chat' - got a Live Chat reference number, but no prompt / invitation to actually initiate 'discussion'.

Is anyone else having McAfee problems and does anyone have any ideas on what else I can try?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 7:39 AM

Your best option is to uninstall the worthless McAfee product according to the developers' instructions.

4 replies

Jul 9, 2012 12:24 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you so much :-)

I did hesitate for a bit (I'm a Mac newbie!), but finally bit the bullet & uninstalled.

Then my problems really started !!! Couldn't re-install (Download from McAfee not working).

So have spent 3 days trying to get some sense out of McAfee Helpdesk (a misnomer if ever I heard one ........).

Problem seemed to be that the only link (to them) available to me took me to their Windows dept. They appear to work in complete isolation from their Mac dept: just kept replying that I'd have to contact their Mac people.

Had just about reached tantrum stage when, this evening, I tried downloading McAfee yet again & - whey-hey !! - this time it worked.

So its scan is chuntering away in the background, even as I type. I'm none the wiser as to why it went wrong in the first place, nor why it was so difficult to reinstall. But all's well that ends well :-)

Many thanks

Susan

McAfee Scan not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.