Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my computer was significantly bumped while using Aperture. it took me to the login page to restart the computer. Aperture is not responding now. I'm running a consistency check, but it is taking forever. I only have 16 GB in my library. Any suggestions?

my computer was significantly bumped while using Aperture. it took me to the login page to restart the computer. Aperture is not responding now. I held down option command while starting Aperture (2) and now I'm running a consistency check, but it is taking forever. I only have 16 GB in my library. Any suggestions? I do have it backed up on an external hard drive. Do I need to drag it to the trash and reinstall?

Aperture 2, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 7:47 AM

5 replies

Jul 6, 2012 12:36 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

no other error messages. everything else works fine. I moved aperture to trash, emptied trash, reinstalled cd, did software update... but when I tried to open aperture, it still is not responding. and all my projects and albums were there... I was expecting it to be a new fresh, empty application where I would have to put all my pics back in, from my hd. I was confused that they were still there.

Jul 6, 2012 12:51 PM in response to nmariek

it still is not responding. and all my projects and albums were there... I was expecting it to be a new fresh, empty application where I would have to put all my pics back in, from my hd.

The Aperture application builds an Aperture Library where your images are kept. When you reinstalled Aperture, you probably only removed the Aperture Application from the Applications folder, but not the Aperture library with all your images from the Pictures folder. Then the newly installed application still can use the library. Perhaps your library has been corrupted when Aperture crashed. So, until Kirby comes back to this thread, you might wish to repair your library:

Try to launch Aperture again, while firmly holding down the key combination: ⌥⌘.

This will start the Aperture Library First Aid Tools. Select "Repair Permissions" from the panel and press "Repair ...". Then repeat, but select "Repair Database".

Good Luck

Léonie

Jul 6, 2012 1:06 PM in response to léonie

I tried this... it gives me the option to rebuild the library or run a consistency check. (I'm using Aperture 2,not 3) I tried the consistency check earlier and it seemed to be stuck around 75% for hours so I force quite Aperture. I haven't tried to rebuild the database because I wasn't sure if that's what I wanted to do...

my computer was significantly bumped while using Aperture. it took me to the login page to restart the computer. Aperture is not responding now. I'm running a consistency check, but it is taking forever. I only have 16 GB in my library. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.