Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repeated Thunderbolt cable failures

Hi,

I've just received my new MacBook Pro with Retina display last week and I'm very happy with it. But there's one issue... my Thunderbolt cables keep failing!

I bought a Seagate GoFlex for Mac drive with the GoFlex Thunderbolt Adapter and an Apple Thunderbolt cable. The first cable failed after about an hour of operation (intensive copying of data onto the drive). I took everything to an Apple Store and they determined that the Thunderbolt cable was the culprit. They gave me a new one and I went home.

... just to have the same thing happen again the next day. This time the cable held up a little longer, maybe five hours until - again - the drive failed to be recognized and the new cable went bad as well!

I just came home from the store and this time, they swapped everything: drive, TB adapter and TB cable. I hope it won't happen again...

Anyone else had a similar experience?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 10:11 AM

9 replies

Aug 12, 2012 2:44 PM in response to Tim Lorenzen

I've been having similar issues with my thunderbolt cables, although none have actually failed. I have gone from a 2011 macbook air 11" to a new 13" macbook pro 2012. For both of these I use the seaget goflex 500GB drive for time machine with the thunderbolt adapter and both apple's thunderbolt cable and elgato's shorter thunderbolt cable. Every time I try to connect the drive, I wait and wait and wait but the laptop sees nothing. I end up having to unplug and reconnect the cable several times in order for osx to actually "see" the drive and start time machine. I had this problem with the apple cable first on my macbook air and was happy when the shorter elgato cable was released. I was hoping to solve both my flaky issue and to finally have a shorter cable for my backup solution. Unfortunately, the elgato now has the exact same behavior. I can't really say they are both "bad", since they eventually work, but I shouldnt have to try and try and have to continually reseat them in order for them to work. I need to take everything in to apple and have them take a look one day.

Nov 30, 2013 1:51 PM in response to Tim Lorenzen

Bought the Seagate Backup Plus and a Thunderbolt adapter and after using it a while, it completely failed too boot. After multiple purchases, trial and error, I too discovered it was the Thunderbolt cable that went bad. Replacement of the cable (Radio Shack $39.99) made the drive boot up again. Its a pain but I'm just glad I got my data back!

One thing to remember, the drive does not boot up or even turn on until the cable (a working cable) is inserted into the computer. That means that you may think the problem is with the Thunderobolt adapter. This makes you be a doofis and buy a new adapter like I did. And the adapter costs more than the drive. SO do yourself a favor and try the cable first. Even if its new. I think these Thunderbolt cables are flakey in general. Fast, but flakey.

Jan 24, 2014 4:19 PM in response to Tim Lorenzen

I had similar issues with both my Lacie external Thunderbolt drive and the Thunderbolt ethernet adapter. Just learned from an Apple store that these cables often fail if you bend them too much. Sure enough, when I straighten up the cable to Lacie (previously the Lacie drive was in front of the computer so the cable is bending at a sharp angle from the back of the drive) and the short ethernet adapter Thunderbolt cable, both are working fine now. So you may want to look at how the devices are connected to see if the cables are bending at sharp angles or not.

Oct 12, 2014 3:32 PM in response to Tim Lorenzen

I just google this problem and found this thread. I was wondering if people have the same experience as me with my cables. I went through like 7 cables already and all of them fail by gradually ripped off protective coat next to lighting connection, then expose shielding screen that eventually too gets ripped off making the cable nonfunctional. I noticed that sometimes that happens to the end close to USB connector, but mostly lightning. The problem starts like this...

User uploaded file

Repeated Thunderbolt cable failures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.