Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files disappeared while copying

Help!

This is really weird.

I copied 219 files (JPEG photo files) to a flash drive from my hard disk.

Only 135 of them copied and the rest of them disappeared - completely. No trace.

They are just gone.

They do not show in any searches. I ran the MacKeeper File recovery program

and they do not show up there either.

It seems impossible that they could just disappear while being copied

but that is what has happened.

They have to be somewhere, right? Please.

Can anyone suggest what else I can try?

These are very important files.

OSX 10.5.8

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB RAM

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 10:20 AM

13 replies

Jul 6, 2012 2:01 PM in response to Limnos

Half of the files copied and remained on source, half never made it and disappeared.

The names must have gotten changed in the process because a search does not find them.

I found the Photoshop Bridge previews for them. But they don't show up in Bridge. Something must have gotten corrupted in the process but I can't even locate them files.

Jul 6, 2012 9:52 PM in response to Neville Hillyer

Thanks everyone for the effort. After trying everything myself and confering with 2 computer stores, the Apple store, and tech and computer science folks at the local University, still no good answers. The files are still there (somewhere) but the information to find them is gone, Short of an expensive recovery of the file info (which does not seem to be a sure thing) no one has an answer. Thanks again and good luck. At least I have the low res Bridge thumbnails for web use. Cheers.

Files disappeared while copying

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.