Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewire 800 vs. firewire 400 protocol

Is there a difference? I'm trying to record to a Pioneer PRV-LX1 DVD recorder from a MacBook Pro, from a Final Cut Pro timeline. The DVD deck has the little DV connection - which is standard for camcorders and devices like that. My macbook pro has only one firewire connection, FW 800. When i open the FCP timeline, it does not recognize any DV device. I have set the AV device control prefs tab to "firewire basic" and checked the box for "autorecord, PTV = 0 secs", as the pioneer manual suggests. However, the only options i get are "none" and "digital cinema desktop preview". But here's the kicker: when i plug the recorder into my older Mac pro tower, with the same FCP version 6.0.6, which uses a FW400 (6-pin) cable, IT TALKS TO THE RECORDER PERFECTLY! so what's the difference?

MBP 2.66Ghz i7 w/8GB; G5 dual 2.0, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 4:11 PM

3 replies

Jul 9, 2012 11:57 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

System profiler reported something like "unable to display firewire devices". So you may be on to something. It was a brand new Rocketfish cable from Best Buy. i am not on Lion, i'm on "Snow Leopard" (isn't that an endangered species?).

when i unplug the firewire cable, the system profiler says "firewire bus: up to 800 mbps"- as normal.

BTW, FCP will not let me select "view> all frames" from the View menu, external video. I guess it has to recognize the FW cable/bus first?

i will see if i can exchange this cable for another and see what happens.

Firewire 800 vs. firewire 400 protocol

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.