Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No audio with mini-DVI to HDTV

Hi - I know this is a tired discussion but I haven't been able to find an answer. Can you help?

Here is my tv: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-42LE5400-led-lcd-tv

Here is a picture of the back of the tv:

User uploaded file

I have a late 2007 (3,1) Macbook and an LG LED LCD model 42LE5400 tv. I'm trying to get audio and video to the tv. Video works perfectly but I have no audio.

I have a mini-DVI adapter connected to a HDMI cable running to the HDMI1 spot on the tv.

I also have a male-male audio cable with a y-RCA adapter (red and white ends).

I understand that the HDMI cable won't carry audio through the mini-DVI and that I may need external speakers but I want to explore all the options before resorting to that, since I don't have a stereo sound system. I do have some cheapie desktop computer speakers, however.

So. Which jack to I plug the audio cable into? I've tried lots of things, including the regular headphone jack. Still nothing.

Thanks for any help!

Sara

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 10:15 AM

Sorry to confirm that you'l need an audio cable to supplement

the HDMI. The good news is tht you have, I believe, a cable

with stereo miniplug that will fit the headphone jack on your

MacBook and with the two RCA plugs on the other end. Plug

the red into the red jack market R at top right on the array

pictured and the white into its neighbor on the left marked Mono

and you s/b connected. Next, check Sound Out in System Prefs

and make sure of the settings there. Good luck, Tom

If I've misunderstood abut the cables you have on hand you'll

possibly need the one described above or an adapter. Will add pic

of what you need to get to.

User uploaded file

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2012 10:15 AM in response to sberb77

Sorry to confirm that you'l need an audio cable to supplement

the HDMI. The good news is tht you have, I believe, a cable

with stereo miniplug that will fit the headphone jack on your

MacBook and with the two RCA plugs on the other end. Plug

the red into the red jack market R at top right on the array

pictured and the white into its neighbor on the left marked Mono

and you s/b connected. Next, check Sound Out in System Prefs

and make sure of the settings there. Good luck, Tom

If I've misunderstood abut the cables you have on hand you'll

possibly need the one described above or an adapter. Will add pic

of what you need to get to.

User uploaded file

Jul 7, 2012 4:17 PM in response to Tom Meade1

Thanks for replying, Tom. I've plugged in the cable (looks just like the picture you included) and still no sound. I tried a couple cables, just in case. At this point, I'm thinking it must be something with the tv, but I've exhausted all the options in the audio settings. Actually, I don't see any options besides theatre effects, etc. and balance.

In the MB audio settings in sys prefs, under the output tab, it says Headphones and Built-in Output (when the audio cable is plugged in) I don't see any settings to change. It's not muted and the sound plays through both headphones and external speakers. I wonder if there's a way to check the input connections on the tv? Should anything I plug the male 3.5 end of the audio cable into play on the tv, like an iPod? Or does there have to be a video component?

Any other suggestions? Thanks again for your assistance.

Sara

Jul 7, 2012 7:18 PM in response to sberb77

Here is the solutuion! This is a picture of the correct placement of cables, making it possible to watch an older Macbook on a newer tv.

First, the details:

The laptop: regular old Macbook 3,1, late 2007 running OSX 10.5.8

The tv: a now discontinued LG model 42LE5400. It's a 42" LED LCD.

The cables and adapters: I purchased this set of cables online. It was pretty reasonably price, but I'm sure the same ones are available on Amazon for less. This link is for cables specific to my computer, make sure to choose the ones that'll work for your system.

http://www.macbook2tv.com/p/mac-mini-dvi-to-hdmi-kit-with-audio.html

The kit comes with a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter, an HDMI cable, an audio cable with standard 3.5 ends, and a Y-like RCA adapter (red and white connectors). I didn't need the RCA adapter.

Attach the HDMI cable to the mini-DVI adapter and plug it into the mini-DVI port on the Macbook. The HDMI cable then runs from the computer to one of the HDMI inputs on the tv.

Plug one end of the audio cable into the headphone jack on your Macbook. The other end goes into the RGB/DVI input on the tv.

Turn on the tv, select the HDMI input and after some flashing screens you should be set!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Hope this helps!

Jul 7, 2012 7:48 PM in response to Tom Meade1

I didn't notice that 3.5mm jack either. It sits next to the optical audio output so I assumed it had something to do with that.

It's hard to see, but under the LAN jack is an input that looks similar to a small HDMI. LG sells a Wireless Media Box that acts as a reciever. I'm not sure if it's a propietary thing or if it works with other devices. I'm still learning about this tv that I've had for about four years. And I finally learned how to auto-detect the channels!

Jul 7, 2012 8:06 PM in response to sberb77

If you're still interested in mining the features on there

you might like wireless control - if it works with your

cable box you'll never have to point the remote at it

any more. My box is behind wood so I'm forced to

use wireless - in my case Logitech Harmony - which

is good for endless hours of setup and fiddleing.

Why is your LG wired to the networK?

No audio with mini-DVI to HDTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.