Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to put a .mov file on a dvd using lion and have a commercial DVD player play my movie? iDVD is gone. I never had it.

I have found a lot of frustration around this topic but no answers.

I have a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X Version 10.7.4.

I have a video I made with iMovie. I want to burn it to a DVD for commercial DVD playback. It's as simple as that.

Things I've tried.

1. Using iMovie, I saved an HD version of the project to my desktop as a .MOV file. I know I can just burn that to a DVD. It won't play. I need a utility/program to put the necessary files on the DVD so a commercial namebrand DVD player will have what it needs.

2. I heard iDVD used to do this but it's not on my MacBook Pro (Lion OS). I've researched things like "What replaced iDVD" but found nothing but a but of complaining. (and I can see why).

3. I have looked for freeware. It all looks fishy.

Other options I'm looking into.

Use my Mac and connect a cable to the big TV screen. Play the movie using this screen as a secondary monitor. Problem - I have a dozen cables but none for this combo.

Move the .MOV file to a PC and play it using QuickTime. The cables I have will work for a PC to TV. Sad option.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 5:08 AM

Whilst Macs with a Superdrive continue to be able to burn video DVDs, the software for so doing, iDVD, is no longer included in the iLife bundle that comes with OS 10.7 Lion (which also omitted iWeb) or will come with OS 10.8 Mountain Lion. And it is no longer included in the iLife 11 from the online Apple Store: http://www.apple.com/ilife/. Your only solution is to look on Amazon or eBay and try to get an older version that includes iDVD 7, i.e. iLife version 9 onwards. You should also do this if you plan to buy a new Mac anytime soon, as stocks of iLife that include iDVD will not be available for ever.

However, the vastly more expensive FCPX can burn a DVD without iDVD or DVD Studio Pro involvement, but lack the themes etc of iDVD. Also, of course, there is Roxio Toast, which is the best software for burning anything but again does not offer the flexibility of iDVD.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2012 5:08 AM in response to LarryDH

Whilst Macs with a Superdrive continue to be able to burn video DVDs, the software for so doing, iDVD, is no longer included in the iLife bundle that comes with OS 10.7 Lion (which also omitted iWeb) or will come with OS 10.8 Mountain Lion. And it is no longer included in the iLife 11 from the online Apple Store: http://www.apple.com/ilife/. Your only solution is to look on Amazon or eBay and try to get an older version that includes iDVD 7, i.e. iLife version 9 onwards. You should also do this if you plan to buy a new Mac anytime soon, as stocks of iLife that include iDVD will not be available for ever.

However, the vastly more expensive FCPX can burn a DVD without iDVD or DVD Studio Pro involvement, but lack the themes etc of iDVD. Also, of course, there is Roxio Toast, which is the best software for burning anything but again does not offer the flexibility of iDVD.

Jul 7, 2012 5:55 AM in response to dsimagry

I tried Burn. I chose the Data tab first because it had a DVD (UCF) option that looked promising. I popped it into my DVD player and got a Disk cannot be played message. I put in a movie just to test and it played fine.

I then tried the Video tab, that had a DVD-Video option. I copied my .MOV file into Burn and it said Unrecognized format.

My .MOV is a project built using iMovie. I want to keep the transitions and timing and theme.

Jul 7, 2012 1:32 PM in response to LarryDH

I have found a lot of frustration around this topic but no answers.

There is NO (good) alternative. But iDVD is very easy to get.

IDVD is specifically designed to work with iMovie. I have about a half a dozen other DVD authoring programs, including Toast, Burn and others. IDVD is vastly superior and easier to use.

IDVD is a wonderful piece of software and well worth the low cost of $40.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC623Z-A-iLife-VERSION/dp/B003XKRZES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U

I've researched things like "What replaced iDVD" but found nothing but a but of complaining.

Part of your frustration is due to the fact that most people who want to create a DVD are doing it with iDVD. IDVD is your answer.

Jul 7, 2012 1:40 PM in response to LarryDH

I'm almost tempted to say, the money you'd spend on software or other solutions, may be almost better to do this:

1. buy used Apple TV 1st gen on eBay
  2. Load the mov file on it.
  3. Play on the TV from ATV1 - it does support 720p

Honestly, DVD format doesn't support HD, so you are better off either playing it off of APple TV 1st gen or getting the cheapest netbook or nettop you can find, make the TV as your screen and play the vid from QuickTime, VLC, MPlayer or whatever free players there are.

Jul 7, 2012 1:43 PM in response to LarryDH

Agreed.

I have iDVD and don't use it anymore, because even on a small 32" LCD tv it looks like c..p.

1. Apple TV 1st gen
    Cheap Nettop
    Cheap netbook

eBay is your solution here. You don't need any burning software.

If you want HD, then you'd have to get a blueray player, blueray burner, some software which supports Blueray disc authoring. And hundreds of dollars later you finally get the result........

how to put a .mov file on a dvd using lion and have a commercial DVD player play my movie? iDVD is gone. I never had it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.