Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access VPN

Hi.

I'm new to Mac OS X 10.7.4 Lion Server so please forgive my ignorance.

I've just set up a brand new installation:

1. Erase hard drive and install 10.7.4. Lion Client

2. Install Server.app from App Store

3. Download and install Server Tools

4. Confgure port forwarding and static IP on my router

5. Set up Server's Computer Name and Host Name

I've configured my server for File Sharing and VPN only.

When I try to connect to the server via VPN from a Lion 10.7.4 client, I get ths error message:

VPN Connection. The L2TP-VPN server did not respond. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues, verify your settings and contact your Administrator.

User uploaded file

Here's a copy of my Server Logs:

Jul 7 11:38:57 profmac racoon[186]: Connecting.

Jul 7 11:38:57 profmac racoon[186]: IPSec Phase1 started (Initiated by peer).

Jul 7 11:38:57 profmac racoon[186]: IKE Packet: receive success. (Responder, Main-Mode message 1).

Jul 7 11:38:57 profmac racoon[186]: IKE Packet: transmit success. (Responder, Main-Mode message 2).

Jul 7 11:38:58 profmac racoon[186]: IKE Packet: receive success. (Responder, Main-Mode message 3).

Jul 7 11:38:58 profmac racoon[186]: IKE Packet: transmit success. (Responder, Main-Mode message 4).

Jul 7 11:39:01 profmac racoon[186]: IKE Packet: transmit success. (Phase1 Retransmit).

Jul 7 11:39:34: --- last message repeated 3 times ---

Jul 7 11:39:34 profmac racoon[186]: IKE Packet: transmit success. (Phase1 Retransmit).

Jul 7 11:40:13: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Jul 7 11:40:13 profmac racoon[186]: IKE Packet: transmit success. (Phase1 Retransmit).

Jul 7 11:41:04: --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Jul 7 11:41:04 profmac racoon[186]: IKE Packet: transmit success. (Phase1 Retransmit).

Jul 7 11:41:34 profmac racoon[186]: IKEv1 Phase1: maximum retransmits. (Phase1 Maximum Retransmits).

I have forwarded all the relevant ports in my modem/router.

If anyone has any tips, I'd really appreciate it!

Kind regards,

Greg

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 6:54 PM

Try connecting to the VPN on your local network (i.e., bypass the router). If it works, the problem is very likely with the router configuration. If it does not work, then try the Terminal command described in this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4748?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

NOTE: the KB article applies to both PPTP and L2TP over IPSec even though it seems to only apply to PPTP.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2012 6:54 PM in response to Greg Andresen

Try connecting to the VPN on your local network (i.e., bypass the router). If it works, the problem is very likely with the router configuration. If it does not work, then try the Terminal command described in this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4748?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

NOTE: the KB article applies to both PPTP and L2TP over IPSec even though it seems to only apply to PPTP.

Jul 6, 2012 8:45 PM in response to bfdulock

Awesome - thanks so much!

I tried connecting to the VPN on my local network and it worked perfectly, so I checked out my router settings.

I have a Netgear Wireless Cable Voice Gateway CG3100. I already had ports 500 (UDP), 1701 (UDP), 1723 (TCP) and 4500 (UDP) forwarded manually so I looked a bit further.

Under the Services menu of the router I found an option called "Ipsec PassThrough" which was ticked.

First I tried deleting my manual port forward settings and leaving Ipsec PassThrough ticked. No luck.

Next I tried re-entering my manual port forward settings and unticking Ipsec PassThrough. Hurrah!

There must have been a conflict with whatever the Ipsec PassThrough setting did and the manual port forwarding I had set up.

For other users, here's some screenshots of the settings that worked for me:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

(192.168.0.10 is the IP address of my Server)

Can't access VPN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.