Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is error code -50?

I have been receiving this error code whenever I try to move files to other folders, copy/paste them, or trash them:

"The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50)."

I can't empty the trash, either.

Two more problems.

1) I have been getting this message when I try to open certain pages in Safari:

"Safari can't open the page (insert URL here) because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again."

I don't get it for all webpages, though; it's been popping up for Facebook and several Apple-associated sites (like Apple Support). I'm getting a blank white page for Gmail and Twitter, but if I wait long enough they eventually show the previous "unexpected dropped connection" message as well.

I've cleared my cache, gotten rid of cookies, and reset Safari--nothing's been working.

2) Disk Utility is not opening for me. Well, I can see it in my sidebar, but when I click it there is no pop-up with which I can access Disk Utility itself. It says that the application is not responding and I have to Force Quit it.

All three of these problems surfaced today.

My Mid 2009 13" Macbook Pro is running on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 with Safari version 5.1.7; I recently replaced my hard drive with an SSD.

Another note: System Information (Apple sign --> About This Mac --> Get More Info) failed to respond when I clicked on the "Storage" tab (not for the others).

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 10:43 PM

16 replies

Jul 6, 2012 10:51 PM in response to Rararak

Try to reboot to the Recovery disk (Command-R on boot) and use Disk Utility from there to verify and, if needed, repair your SSD. Call back with the results. While you're there, try repairing permissions both before and after you verify/repair your SSD.

What brand of SSD do you have. Some (Samsung 830, amongst other) have been having some trouble with Mac's.

Clinton

Jul 6, 2012 11:31 PM in response to Rararak

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

diskutil list

Post any lines of output that appear below what you entered — the text, please, not a screenshot.

Jul 7, 2012 10:57 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

My SSD is part of the Samsung 830 series.

For some strange, strange, reason, I'm not getting the "dropped connection" message anymore--facebook, etc. pages are opening fine (for now).

I also just checked to see if the error code would still appear, and it seems to be gone. I was able to empty my trash and move my files to other folders.

Disk Utility also showing up fine... I verified my SSD and it says that the partition map appears to be OK. Should I repair disk permissions for my Mac HD, or just leave it be since everything seems to be alright now?

Jul 7, 2012 12:18 PM in response to Rararak

Alright, now everything is back to being screwy. I forgot to mention earlier that I started receiving Kernel Panic messages around mid-day yesterday: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3742

I got the screen telling me to restart my Macbook for the third time (total; twice yesterday and once today) and when I did, all the malfunctions returned. :/

I followed the instructions given on the support page and tried troubleshooting for the kernel panic problem. Disk Utility wasn't opening again, so I did what Clinton suggested (rebooting to the recovery disk) to access it.

Verified my SSD, partition map was OK.

I have a storage partition (at least, that's what I think it is....my brother usually handles all of my macbook issues for me) called "Macintosh HD" underneath my SSD, and it says that it is unmounted. It cannot be verified or repaired:

Invalid sibling link

The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

Not quite certain if I should try repairing my SSD even though Disk Utility is telling me that it is verified and OK.

Ugh, I think I will leave this up to my brother once again as there are too many problems for a noob like me to attempt to fix..

Jul 7, 2012 7:39 PM in response to Rararak

Yes, the "Macintosh HD" is the one that needs to be repaired. I believe that you said that you have a Samsung 830 series SSD? I've noticed quite a few posts here with folks having problems with the 830 series and Mac's.

See if Samsung has an users forum and post a question on there concerning the 830 series in a MBP. Some people have had problems, some not. I don't know if there is a firmware upgrade that would fix your problems or not, but I'd check. Google "samsung ssd 830 users forum" and the top hit will be (should be) a MacRumors forum. Check it out.

Good luck,

Clinton

Jul 1, 2013 8:58 PM in response to Linc Davis

My symptoms seem very similar to this person. After a few minutes my browser (Chrome is my default) slows down and stops. Other services, like Finder also start crashing and I get the error - 50 message if I try to copy a file. If I switch to Safari I get the "dropped by server message for Facebook, Twitter, Google but not necessarily "smaller" independent sites.... System (Hitachi MacBookPro running OSX 10.6.7) started to get flakey two days ago. I did an applejack disk repair (apple disk utility said I had a disk error). Repair was successful. Now I'm running applejack for cleanups which seem to provide a few minutes of stability.

I ran the terminal as you described:

Last login: Mon Jul 1 19:14:40 on console

-MacBook-Pro:~$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *160.0 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Untitled 1 159.7 GB disk0s2

Aug 10, 2013 10:12 AM in response to Rararak

Hello,

Since July, I have the exact same problem than rj3000. Indeed I tried to repair my computer by verifying the permissions and my Disk. The result was that it has repaired something, but I can only have a fully fonctioning computer for 5 or 10 minutes. After that i can't launch any sofware correctly. Even Safari won't work on websites such as Facebook or Gmail.

If I launch Words or Excel I won't be abble to save any file.

An other exemple is if i launch skype, during the launch of the software I will have an error message saying that it's impossible to creat a "lock file" (i'm not sure for the translation, in french it's "fichier vérrou").
If I try to empty my trash, i'll get an error code - 50.

I tried to copy diskutil list into the Terminal window, but it had no effect when I pressed return.

I don't now if it can help, but I'm using Mountain lion 10.8.4 on a 4 years old MacBook Pro 13", and I had this problem since I did an update of airport. I don't know if it's linked..

I'm wondering if this problem isn't linked to the SMS witch could lock the hard drive?

Thanks for your help.
Patrick

What is error code -50?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.