Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Interface slow/buggy with two user accounts?

I've recently created a second user account on my 2009 27" iMac and ever since I've been having weird things happening, such as flash videos in safari becoming unresponsive (literally frozen) untill I move the safari window, which gets the video to play for a few more seconds, then it freezes again... Also, GarageBand does the same thing, when I press play I hear my music, but the play head freezes in place after a few seconds and the only way to get it to move again is to jiggle the GarageBand window, switch to another Space and switch back or press CMD ALT ESC to bring up the force quit menu (not actually force quitting the application, just the action of bringing up the menu is enough to get GarageBand to refresh and start playing again...). These methods also work with safari.

Quitting and reopening the applications doesn't fix the problem and restarting the computer brings temporary relief, but it always comes back. Sometimes safari is open on both user accounts, that might be causing the problem, I'm not sure. I do know that it started at the same time I created a second account.

So whats going on? I'm thinking it's maybe a graphical issue? I've tried doing a permissions and disk repair and while my hard drive was found corrupt, the repair didn't seem to make a difference. Is my only option here to delete the second account? Would that even work? Or is a trip to the apple store in order? I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this issue since ive never come across a bug in OSX that I couldn't fix myself!

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 27" 3GHz Core 2 Duo

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 5:26 AM

A trip might be in order but not yet. First run software update, if your profile is correct you're a version behind as 10.6.8 is current, there may neither updates as well. Second reset the SMC and pram

To reset the SMC

Shut down the computer.

Unplug the computer's power cord.

Wait fifteen seconds.

Attach the computer's power cord.

Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

To reset PRAM/NVRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2012 5:26 AM in response to Hazza42

A trip might be in order but not yet. First run software update, if your profile is correct you're a version behind as 10.6.8 is current, there may neither updates as well. Second reset the SMC and pram

To reset the SMC

Shut down the computer.

Unplug the computer's power cord.

Wait fifteen seconds.

Attach the computer's power cord.

Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

To reset PRAM/NVRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Jul 7, 2012 6:04 AM in response to SeaPapp

Ah, yes, I am up to date! Haven't logged into support communities for a while, I've updated my profile but it's not showing up here yet...

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try resetting the system controller, I do pram fairly regularly but I'll try that again too. Also, I'm not 100% certain on this one, but if I restart the computer and only log into one account, there's no trouble. As soon as I log into the second and have them running together that's when all the issues start. I'm going to do a little experiment with some of the other macs in the house and see if they have the same issue when I boot them off my iMacs backup, so the OS and files are identical, it's just the hardware that's different. That should tell me if it's hardware or software. I might try a reinstall of lion too, see if that makes a difference.

Jul 7, 2012 6:14 AM in response to Hazza42

You also may simply be low on RAM and need to upgrade. You can keep Activity Monitor (Applications - Utilities - Activity Monitor) open and when you notice a slow down, click the System Memory tab and check the amount of FREE RAM. As a general rule of thumb if the system has 500MB or less of RAM that could indicate the system needs more RAM. It will look similar to:

User uploaded file

Jul 7, 2012 6:26 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I think I'm alright for ram, I have 12GB installed for video editing and rendering.

I've also just done a Safe Boot. It started up, (held shift) was on a black screen for about 4 minutes, then the grey apple logo appeared for another few minutes (released shift), then it did a restart. It started up much faster than it has been as well. Is that normal? I can tell you that the interface issues are gone for naw, although that's usual after a restart. It can take anywhere between a few hours to a day for the problem to reoccur. I'll post if it comes back, if not, thanks guys!

Jul 7, 2012 10:29 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote: The amount of free RAM is no indication of the need for more RAM. Ideally, it should always be zero, if RAM is being fully used.

??? Can you please elaborate on this. In my experience, very low free memory is usually accompanied by a large Swap file, Page outs and things generally slowing down or possibly freezing. And inactive memory, which, in theory, is supposed to be available for any other apps that need it, it doesn't appear to work this way in practice.

Jul 7, 2012 1:48 PM in response to Linc Davis

I've read that and already knew all that. But I don't see how that begins to relate to the question I posed, re. your statement that zero free RAM available is ideal if RAM is being fully used. What makes that ideal?

Sounds like a tautology. By definition, at least, if all the RAM is being used, then zero will be available. But again, why is that ideal?

Jul 7, 2012 2:06 PM in response to WZZZ

I.e., if all the free RAM is being used and some application needs more or some newly opened application wants some, then the next step is for paging to begin, since any that's in inactive can't usually be relied upon. That doesn't sound ideal.

Or maybe another way of asking this is if it's ideal that all the free RAM be fully utilized, why or under what conditions wouldn't it be?

Interface slow/buggy with two user accounts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.