Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud kills Mac Mail?

I moved my Mac Mail account to iCloud Just before Apple retired MobileMe. The confirmation message I received from Apple says I will be able to continue to use Mail on devices not compatible with iCloud. However, as of 7/1/12, my iMac running Leopard 10.5.8 no longer receives email to my Mac Mail inbox. In order to see my inbox, I have to log on to the Mail feature at iColud.com. Is there some setting the needs to be tweaked in my iMac Mail Preferences to make Mail work again on my Mac? Or have I misunderstood Apple's communication about non-compatible devices?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 10:36 AM

Hello, the problem is the servers have changed, you can Make Mail work even in 10.3.9

MAKE A NEW ACCOUNT - DO NOT TRY TO ALTER YOUR EXISTING ACCOUNT.

I understand .mac mail will still come through. Do not delete the old account yet.

You cannot use .mac or MobileMe as type of Account, you have to choose IMAP when setting up, otherwise Mail is hard coded to change imap.mail.me.com to mail.me.com & smtp.mail.me.com to smtp.me.com, no matter what you try to enter.

iCloud Mail setup, do not choose .mac or MobileMe as type, but choose IMAP...

On second step where it asks "Description", it has to be a unique name, but you can still use your email address.

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com

• SSL Required: Yes

• Port: 993

• Username: example@me.com (use your @me.com address from your iCloud account)

• Password: Your iCloud password

SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com

• Port: 587

• SMTP Authentication Required: Yes

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2012 10:36 AM in response to OnHD

Hello, the problem is the servers have changed, you can Make Mail work even in 10.3.9

MAKE A NEW ACCOUNT - DO NOT TRY TO ALTER YOUR EXISTING ACCOUNT.

I understand .mac mail will still come through. Do not delete the old account yet.

You cannot use .mac or MobileMe as type of Account, you have to choose IMAP when setting up, otherwise Mail is hard coded to change imap.mail.me.com to mail.me.com & smtp.mail.me.com to smtp.me.com, no matter what you try to enter.

iCloud Mail setup, do not choose .mac or MobileMe as type, but choose IMAP...

On second step where it asks "Description", it has to be a unique name, but you can still use your email address.

IMAP (Incoming Mail Server) information:

• Server name: imap.mail.me.com

• Port: 993

SMTP (outgoing mail server) information:

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com

• Port: 587

• SMTP Authentication Required: Yes

Jan 6, 2015 4:57 PM in response to Donna92880

Hi Donna, yep, most versions of OSX Mail use the account name as the folder name.

Solution might be to move or archive then trash the existing one...

First Quit Mail, then I'd backup these two Mail folders, by right clicking on them in the Finder, then choose Archive/Compress.

Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail

Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail Downloads

(Could be a different folder here if you chose such in Mail Prefs)

Right click on that Mail folder, choose archive, you'll get everything in the folder, and the folder itself in a file called Mail.zip, move it to a safe place, same for the Mail Downloads folder... only the plist is separate.

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

iCloud kills Mac Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.