Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Precautions on the MagSafe2 adapter: Laptop can drag to floor.

I have several Mac laptops using the original MagSafe adapter. On rare occasion someone has tripped on the power transformer or wire and the MagSafe came out of the computer and nothing was harmed. That's because of the higher profile and the straight exit of the cord.

The new MagSafe2 right angle and lower profile configuration can be problematic. Because the original MagSafe projected away from the computer, pulling at most angles caused the LED head to be pulled from the computer. BUT the right angle and smaller profile of the MagSafe2 has posed a problem. Twice this year pulling on the cord has dragged the laptop off the table crashing to the floor.

To remedy this, have used Glue to loop the wire back to the charging piece so that in effect it becomes like the original MagSafe. This way pulling in most directions allows release of the charging piece from the laptop, whereas otherwise the computer whould have been dragged across the table and possibly to the floor. An alternative would be to decrease the magnetic attraction so that a gentle unexpected tug on the MagSafe2 disengages the head from the laptop.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagSafe

MagSafe vs. MagSafe2-OTHER

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 8:18 AM

8 replies

Jul 7, 2012 9:09 AM in response to MacPcConsultant

Well a few weeks ago someone posted how easy the new adapter comes out of the socket on the Mac. So easily that they did not know it had disconnected and there mac shut down for lack of battery power.

Now you post how it doesn't come out and can take the system off whatever it is sitting on if the cord is snagged.

IMHO both of these problems are USER FAULTS and has nothing to do with the Magnetic connection between the adapter and the notebook. But hey I may be wrong. I have been in the past.

EDIT:

Oh and the angled adapter has been out for a few years now.

Suggestion:

Don't place the power cord in an area that it can get snagged by someone walking by.

Jul 7, 2012 9:28 AM in response to Shootist007

Never indicated the MagSafe2 was recently released, nor have I found the magnetic attraction to be too weak. Nor is the post indicating this happens all the time with the MagSafe2. The MS2 design decreasing torsion makes this computer dragging far more likely. The MS2 is/was associated with lighter weight Mac laptops is also a contributing factor.

Your suggestion of power cord positioning is obvious, but improved designs help avoid accidental damage or what you consider "user faults".

Precautions on the MagSafe2 adapter: Laptop can drag to floor.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.