Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

duplicate contacts on iphone

I see duplicate contacts in the "All iCloud" contacts list. I do NOT see duplicate contacts at icloud.com. What's the scoop?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 9:35 AM

18 replies

Jul 7, 2012 10:29 AM in response to pvonk

Here is my configuration:

iTunes = sync contacts turned OFF

iCloud Control Panel via desktop PC = Contacts with Outlook ON (note that Outlook has all contacts in the iCloud folder only)

When I view contacts via iCloud.com I see NO duplicates

When I view contacts via iPhone and selecting "All iCloud" group only, I see duplicate entries

When I view contacts on desktop PC, I see NO duplicates

Lastly, on iPhone, when I edit one of the duplicates, the change is immediately reflected in the other duplicate

Jul 19, 2012 6:13 AM in response to RikEbbesen

I have the same weird problem as well.

On my iCloud and Outlook there aren't any duplicates but only on my iPhone.

My settings were set so that my contacts were synced to iCloud. Anyways I've just managed to solve my problem by going into my "iCloud menu" in iPhone settings then turning my contacts sync to "OFF".

A prompt came out "What would you like to do with the previously synced iCloud contacts on your iPhone". I got the options "A) Keep on My Iphone" or "B) Delete from My iPhone"

I Choose "Delete from My iPhone" then waited for awhile to let the phone clean my contact book.

I Then proceeded to go back into my "iCloud menu" in my iPhone settings and turn my contacts sync back to "ON". After about a minute downloading back the contacts from iCloud i found to my happiness that there weren't any duplicates anymore.

Maybe I was lucky so dont take my account as word. backup your iPhone just in case. Hope you guys/galz succeed with clearing your duplicates with the method above.

Aug 9, 2012 7:14 PM in response to RikEbbesen

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3998 <--- also very useful for TS all iCloud Contacts issues, the last section is about duplicate contacts.

And of course the article posted above (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4147) is very indepth and covers a variety of different setups, including Outlook and iTunes syncing as well as iCloud.

Note: If your contacts are duplicated on iCloud.com, contact Apple iCloud Support.

Also before attempting to TS a large quanity of contacts, consider backing up your data to prevent data loss.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Aug 29, 2012 12:49 PM in response to RikEbbesen

I have been having the same problem since mid July. Editing contacts on my iPhone duplicates them on the phone, not on Exchange or iCloud.

Deleting the second the duplicate contact removes it from iCloud and Exchange, but not the phone.

Deleting the original contact deletes both the original and the duplicate and from iCloud and Exchange.

I have to text message the contact to myself, delete the original contact, then save the contact I texted as a new contact.

Is Apple working on a solution for this bug?

duplicate contacts on iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.