Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help with Compressor 4 settings to convert .mp4 files to .m4v for iBooks Author

I'm a curriculum design guy with no video background. I have Compressor 4, but don't really know much about how to best use it. I'd appreciate some help with getting the right setting for my project. Screen shots of settings would be much appreciated, since I don't know much video terminology.

I'm making an free iBook for students on WWII propaganda using old videos from the Internet archive.

I'd plan to use Compressor to:

1. Convert the .mp4 files to a .m4v that iBooks Author will accept. (I know I can use QT for that, but it increases file size)

2. Use Compressor to reduce file size so my iBook doesn't get too big

3. Get videos that look & sound the best, given the poor quality of the original source videos.

Here's some sample videos that I'll use:

http://www.archive.org/download/OutOfTheFryingPanIntoTheFiringLine/OutOfTheFryin gPanIntoTheFiringLine.mp

http://archive.org/download/AvengeDe1942/AvengeDe1942_edit.mp4

PS - I will also be editing some of the original videos in iMovie - if I use different settings to prep those videos for iBook Author, let me know.

Much thanks in advance for any help

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 11:21 AM

I'm converting a 4k video (4096x2304) in compressor to ProRes right now, very intensive. I'll take look at the footage for now. How big is your book without the videos? If I remember right an iBook has a file size limit of 2 GiG.

4 replies

Jul 7, 2012 2:20 PM in response to David M Brewer

Thanks so much David..

I started with a 14MB mp4 and used the Compressor 4 settings above to create a 20 MB m4v.

Just so I'm clear, Compressor can't make the file smaller, but does create a IBA usable m4v without much increase in file size?

(when I converted using QT, it took same video up to 41 MB?)

~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm editing down some of longer videos with iMovie. Can you recommend any iMovie export settings for best results?

I need help with Compressor 4 settings to convert .mp4 files to .m4v for iBooks Author

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.