Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

file size

In Aperture, when I look at the file size of a picture, it might be, for example, 500 kb. If I edit it in Photoshop Elements, and save it back to Aperture, it usually increases in size to 7 MB or so. But, when I look into Pictures>Aperture Library and look for the picture, it remains the origional size, despite having trashed the origional photo. How do I keep the picture as the higher size?

MacBook Pro HD, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 12:03 PM

3 replies

Jul 7, 2012 12:15 PM in response to William Hooper

William,

I am not quite sure what you are doing, when you are comparing file sizes.

Let me see, if I got it right, what you are asking about.

1. You have an image - with the original file size 500 kb. BTW- what format? jpeg?
  2. This you send to Elements. Photoshop will create a new quasi master (tiff or psd), which has a larger file size.
  3. When you save the edited image in Elements, the edited quasi master will be returned to Aperture and have a larger file size.

But, when I look into Pictures>Aperture Library and look for the picture, it remains the origional size, despite having trashed the origional photo.

Did you send the first image version to the trash and kept the edited version? You will still the original smaller file in the Aperture library, until you empty the Aperture trash.

And you should find a second quasi master(original) in the aperture library.

Regards

Léonie

Jul 7, 2012 1:27 PM in response to William Hooper

Wayne,

that is really puzzling. I cannot try it in PSE right now on the Mac I am using, but Adobe Photoshop keeps the large master.

Are you sure, you see the second quasi master and not the original in the library? Sometimes deleting the version does not delete the master/original.

To test this, I would import a new image for testing - as referenced image. Then you have easy access to the master and the new quasi master, and can see what happens when you try to delete the original image.

Regards

file size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.