Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't my iMac run on JUST new RAM chips?

Hi Community,

I wanted to upgrade my iMac (mid 2007) from 1GB to 4GB RAM (two slots with 2GB in each), and so carefully checked the Support page here to get exactly the right specification for the RAM chips, and instructions on how to install them.

I have two such SODIMM 667MHz 2GB DDR2 PC-5300/5400, non ECC (this is the exact specification needed).

I then put in both chips correctly and turned on the mac to a whirring noise but only a black screen with no starting chirrup. I then decided to replace one of the two chips with the original 1GB RAM modules, and the Mac started perfectly, and in "About This Mac" it recognises 3GB are available (status "OK" on both). If both of my two new chips work alongside the old one, why don't they both work together?

Any help would be hugely appreciated, thanks in advance

George

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mid 2007 - iMac7,1

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 2:28 PM

4 replies

Jul 6, 2016 5:14 AM in response to GCochrane

I have the Mac OS X 10.6.8 iMac 6,1. It holds up to 3GB.

The previous owner had 2x1GB sticks in there. I ordered 2x2GB sticks from owc. I wanted to put the new sticks in because I have read that it may run a bit better when you don't mix and match.

I wish I could have found out!

The problem for me was, the bottum 1GB stick popped right out but the top 1GB stick WOULD NOT move. Totally stuck in the slot.

I can't complain though, I just left that 1 GB in and added the 2GB stick. So I'm using 3GB now.....

And I don't know, buying an older MAC for cheap still blows away my newer lab top.

I use mine mainly for recording purposes. That's what external hard Drives are for I suppose.

Why can't my iMac run on JUST new RAM chips?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.