Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Stopped auto connecting to the Internet? I have to manually go in and select my wifi every time I wake up the machine to use it. Help

My desk top Mac quit auto connecting to my wifi network. Now every time I wake it up to use the computer and want to go on the Internet, I have to manually select my wifi network. It used to just automatically connect when the machine woke up. Have tried setting preferences to auto connect, but that did not work. Has anyone had this problem? Help would be greatly appreciated .thanks.

iMac

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 3:44 PM

2 replies

Jul 7, 2012 4:11 PM in response to Merrylj

Hello,

This has eorkd for a dew, but not everyone...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

Apr 13, 2013 12:46 AM in response to Merrylj

I have the same problem, I tried making new location, still had the same problem. After tinkering around with it I did this: went to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ (not the Library in the user folder, but root of hard drive), copied the file com.apple.airport.preferences.plist to Desktop and deleted the one remaining in the folder mentioned above, restarted, then copied the file from Desktop back to the original folder, now overwriting the freshly created com.apple.airport.preferences.plist, restarted again and now it seems to be working! Hope this works for other people too...

My Mac Stopped auto connecting to the Internet? I have to manually go in and select my wifi every time I wake up the machine to use it. Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.