Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to migrate data from old macbook to new macbook pro retina display?

Hi,

I just pulled my new macbook pro (retina display) from the box and attempted to transfer my data from my late 2008 macbook model (has USB ports only) to the new macbook pro. Using my wireless network, migration assistant got hung up when both trying to migrate data from my old macbook, and then again from my time capsule. I'm not a computer expert - I just need a sure fire to transfer my information (including all user data, etc.). I realize I could just reinstall everything onto the new laptop and use a hard drive to move files, but would rather not. If I use a cable would that do the trick, and if so, which one?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 6:20 PM

try to connect both to the router via ethernet, instead of using wifi

try the migration assistant again.

low speed of wifi probably killed it

10 replies

Jul 7, 2012 6:33 PM in response to goodbonfire

Ouch! I forgot.

I assume forking out the $$$ for the Apple's USB to RJ45 adapter is not an option?

IF you know exactly what you want to move (files only) you could connect to the computer directly and move files over in Finder.

IN system preferences on the old mac enable remote login under sharing section and connect to it from the retina MB in FInder - COMMAND_K will connect to server - try to type the IP address of the old MB

I connect between our macs all the time to transfer large files on our home wifi.

Jul 29, 2014 6:02 PM in response to VolantorMan

Unfortunately using USB to connect two macs wont help much. Wintel machines yes, but not macs. Instead Ethernet, FireWire or Thunderbolt will work just fine, depending on which ports are available on the specific macs. Also, in most cases both FireWire 800 and – above all – Thunderbolt are way faster than any presently available USB standard.

How to migrate data from old macbook to new macbook pro retina display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.