Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my new macbook Pro 2012 running slow

I bought my Macbook pro a couple days ago, I have made all the updates to it and is now freezing and showing the pinwheel all the time. I ran this computer side by side with my old 2011 macbook pro and this "new" one is running much slower.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issues?

Thanks for your time and help.

Ray A.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 6:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 7:05 PM

Your new system comes with 90 days of phone access to Apple support, you may want to use that first.

13 replies

Jul 7, 2012 8:04 PM in response to BGreg

Thank you for the information, I gave them a call and they advised me to run the instructions in the links below. It seems like is helping, but I guess I will have to wait and see.

I will provide you and update.

Again, thank you.

Ray A.

When to reset NVRAM or PRAMhttp://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

When to reset NVRAM or PRAM

Jul 7, 2012 8:10 PM in response to Ray Almanza

Well, if you have jus transferred all of your data in the new MacBook Pro, it probably indexes all of your hard drive for all the new data to be searched instantly using spotlight. You may see the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of the screen with a small dot blinking in the center.

Indexing may use some RAM, processor and even the hard drive is spinning continuously. It may take a while depending on the data you have. Everyone experiences the same thing, but indexing is essential and it's a part of the OS. So be patient, let it run overnight once, make sure to plug the MacBook Pro to the power.

After indexing is done, open "Disk Utility" and perform "Repair Disk Permissions"

It will make a considerable and visible difference in the performance and it will solve all the issues 🙂

Well everyone thinks that the new MacBook Pro is slow but the indexing takes a while when you transferred the new data (Even when you didn't transfer, it takes a while). Be patient! 🙂

This should solve your problem! 🙂

Let us know what happens 🙂

Jul 7, 2012 8:14 PM in response to etresoft

I agree with you, I don't think is normal for a macbook less than a week old should be behaving like this.

I kept looking around and there is another tread with a lot more people complaining about the exact same thing with their new mid 2012 macbook pro.

I mean of course clearing all the cache and kernels from he RAM is going to speed up the computer momentarily....

I think it could be something with their new Ivy Bridge processor that is not handling the workload correctly......

Also I noticed some strange while I was on the phone with their support line, we had to restart/shut down my computer a couple of times, and I noticed that my macbook will not do the shrime sound that it suppossed to everytime it starts up, have any of you have that problem? is that normal!?!?

Jul 7, 2012 8:18 PM in response to Ray Almanza

I totally agree to what you say, but I'd suggest you to please try my suggestion 🙂
Give it a try! It should make a considerable difference. I own 4 Macs and every time I got a new one / installed new OS in it, I do the same thing (let it index the HDD).
Give it a try, Sir! I totally understand that you spent a lot of money on this amazing machine and it's not performing the way you want, jus give a try to my suggestion! It really works! 🙂

Jul 8, 2012 3:44 AM in response to Ray Almanza

No you don't need to leave it plugged in for couple of days! Won't make sense! Indexing a full 500GB HDD (in my case it had 230GB free) jus took one night! Of course, you didn't get a bad apple, it tastes much good and sweeter after it's mature and ripe <3 😉

After you see that the magnifying glass isn't animating, you should go forward to repair the disk permissions and you're good to go! 🙂

Jul 9, 2012 12:11 PM in response to sagarpachorkar

Hey Guys,

Well I have already tried all the advices provided.... Hard drive indexing, repair disk permissions, ran activity monitor to see if any application was taking a lot of memory on the computer, etc, and the computer still have the pinwheel /freezing problem all the time even when transitioning from itunes to safari without any resource hog app running.

It's so slow that even when i use the gesture to load all the applications menu (Launchpad) the applications icons show empty and it takes a couple of seconds to load all the icons...

In the last two days, I have been running the same application in both my old 2011 MBP as well as mid 2012 MBP and I can definitely notice a huge difference in underperformance of my new model MBP.

Do you guys have any other advices or should I go ahead and take this to the appstore and have it checked/replaced.

Jul 10, 2012 1:56 AM in response to etresoft

etresoft wrote:

Ray Almanza wrote:

Do you guys have any other advices or should I go ahead and take this to the appstore and have it checked/replaced.

Don't waste time looking at memory. Run Activity Monitor and see what it says. set it to show All Processes and sort by CPU. See if there is a difference between the two machines.

I have added a screenshot below....

I dont't think that my computer should be freezing with this kind of app running....

User uploaded file

Sep 16, 2012 5:52 PM in response to Ray Almanza

I am also so dsappointed of buying macbook pro for the first time,and to think it was just almost a month ago....I am worried about the over heating issue,battery span that never lasprot that long as what the advertisement says...I really take extra care of this gadget because it is my first time having this so expenssive lappy...Ooohhh before I forget,my gadget is Macbook Pro 13 with memory of 8gb 1600 MHz DDR3..processor 2.9GHz Intel core I7...the only heave application tha I downloaded was the Mountain Lion I think ,and it was updated now from 10.8.1 - 10.8.2 ..maybe the next heavy app is the google chrome...and the rest is those apps that I bought from the Apple store that didnt cost me $10...before buying this unit ,I am using a lappy from Gateway with windows OS that runs slowly because of maybe being so old...lol I am using it for almost 3yrs because I only bought it from a junk shop alternately with Dell desktop thats so cheap,I only bought it almost $200 from a junkshop still.now after learning to fix and upgrade computers,I upgraded the DELL desktop from 1GB to 2GB,but I upraded my hardrive from 80gb to 1000gb...now I did test booting the 2,the desktop and this new Macbook Pro.my dell really boot so fast half more than this macbook pro...when I am downloading videos,really the Dell desktop have the fastest loading and downloading...I am not kidding and telling lies...I am so shock to know the real truth....I am sorry, but i is really true...But I promise my self to take care of this gadget because its my first time to have a genuinely brand new gadget and so expenssive...if no one believe this, i will upload a video on my youtube accnt just to prove that I am not telling a lie...oooh before I forget...just to prove that this gadget is geguine and new, here is the Serial Number of my Macbook Pro 13 which I posses almost a month now.. Serial Number C0******DTY4

<Edited by Host>

Why is my new macbook Pro 2012 running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.