Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move Aperture 3 (Referenced) to New MacBook?

I currently have Aperture 3 (Referenced Masters) on my old 2007 Macbook and now have my new Macbook Pro. I originally used Migration Assistant to set up the new MBP (MA because the shop unfortunately set up the new machine with my User accont!!!) but this was mainly because I hoped apps like 'Office for Mac 2011' would work without problems. Microsoft being the prime example, it doesn't of course!! So now I need to jump through all of the MS hoops to get a Product Key again (I'm not surprised people pirate their stuff when they make legal ownership such a painful experience). Maybe time to kick Office off my machine and go with Pages and Numbers given the limited use I make of Word and Excel, and the fact I actually find Outlook quite a pig to work with. Anyway, that's another story. Without the (benefit?) of having Office working I really don't want to import all the junk that comes from years of system ownership and continual migrations. So, I plan to wipe the HD, re-install Lion and migrate manually, no big deal considering all my 'Mail' is IMAP, docs and iTunes music can be copied over together with any other things I decide I might need (e.g. the odd 'Pref' file).

I'm 90% certain I have this right from pulling various threads from the forum here but, where Aperture 3 is concerned would the correct approach be:

1) Install Aperture 3 from disc. Register etc.

2) Copy over Aperture library from old machine.

3) Connect the Referenced Masters drive and 'Consolidate' them all, given that the HD on this machine is big enough to house them.

I did wonder whether I could/should merely copy the Aperture ap from Apps on the old machine to the target device but am not sure whether this skips on part of the ap configuration from when the installer is used. I also considered whether I should free up space on my old machine, 'Consolidate' all the Masters back onto that and then copy the library across?

I'd judt like to make this is painless and error free as possible since, courtesy of Microsoft, Migration Assistant proved to be more problematic and time consuming than I'd hoped, especially given that the shop had screwed up my potential to use Set Up Assistant. I did think of wiping the drive and THEN using Setup Assistant as it had been suggested that this might leave Office in a working state. Others seem to think otherwise and that the hoops to get a new product key will still have to be jumped through (oddly I suspect that it's only legal users that get annoyed with the MS approach, illegal users wouldn't care a monkey's about product keys and would just download it!). I have to say that if I do scrap Office it will be the last MS product I ever buy.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 10:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 11:27 PM

If you want to replace MS Office, you can open all your old office documents from their corresponding iWorks applications - Pages, Keynote, Numbers. But I still keep Office around, because I have to exchange documents with non-mac users. You might give the freeOpen Office for Mac a try.

My migration with "Migration Assistant" from my older mac, and also from a Time Machine backup, has been smooth sailing. If the Microsoft serial numbers are all that worries you, I would not bother to do a clean install.

I'm 90% certain I have this right from pulling various threads from the forum here but, where Aperture 3 is concerned would the correct approach be:

3) Connect the Referenced Masters drive and 'Consolidate' them all, given that the HD on this machine is big enough to house them.

That should work. Just in case, that you get an error message ""check with the developer to make sure Aperture works with this version of Mac OS X" don't worry, some of the older installer DVDs give his error message, because a developer certificate expired. This easily solved by resetting the date before installing, see the thread below.

Re: Install failure for Aperture 3 on my MacBook Pro. Operating on Lion.

I did wonder whether I could/should merely copy the Aperture ap from Apps on the old machine to the target device but am not sure whether this skips on part of the ap configuration from when the installer is used.

Pro Apps need to be installed by an installer, otherwise you will miss frameworks and presets installed in the libraries. Either use Migration Assistant or the installer. If you use the installer, you will have to reinstall any plug-ins you have been using.

I also considered whether I should free up space on my old machine, 'Consolidate' all the Masters back onto that and then copy the library across?

It will be easier to copy the library, while it is still referenced, because this way it is smaller and it will copy faster. Then connect your volume with the masters and consolidate, if you prefer a managed library.

Regards

Leónie

P.S. Since you did not mention the word "backup" in your long post, the obligatory caution: 😉

So, I plan to wipe the HD, re-install Lion and migrate manually, no big deal considering all my 'Mail' is IMAP, docs and iTunes music can be copied over together with any other things I decide I might need (e.g. the odd 'Pref' file).

Make a backup and check it, before you do this. When reinstalling, I prefer to make a bootable clone (super duper, carbon copy cloner). This way you keep a working system, you can boot into, if necessary.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2012 11:27 PM in response to TechAddict

If you want to replace MS Office, you can open all your old office documents from their corresponding iWorks applications - Pages, Keynote, Numbers. But I still keep Office around, because I have to exchange documents with non-mac users. You might give the freeOpen Office for Mac a try.

My migration with "Migration Assistant" from my older mac, and also from a Time Machine backup, has been smooth sailing. If the Microsoft serial numbers are all that worries you, I would not bother to do a clean install.

That should work. Just in case, that you get an error message ""check with the developer to make sure Aperture works with this version of Mac OS X" don't worry, some of the older installer DVDs give his error message, because a developer certificate expired. This easily solved by resetting the date before installing, see the thread below.

Re: Install failure for Aperture 3 on my MacBook Pro. Operating on Lion.

I did wonder whether I could/should merely copy the Aperture ap from Apps on the old machine to the target device but am not sure whether this skips on part of the ap configuration from when the installer is used.

Pro Apps need to be installed by an installer, otherwise you will miss frameworks and presets installed in the libraries. Either use Migration Assistant or the installer. If you use the installer, you will have to reinstall any plug-ins you have been using.

I also considered whether I should free up space on my old machine, 'Consolidate' all the Masters back onto that and then copy the library across?

It will be easier to copy the library, while it is still referenced, because this way it is smaller and it will copy faster. Then connect your volume with the masters and consolidate, if you prefer a managed library.

Regards

Leónie

P.S. Since you did not mention the word "backup" in your long post, the obligatory caution: 😉

So, I plan to wipe the HD, re-install Lion and migrate manually, no big deal considering all my 'Mail' is IMAP, docs and iTunes music can be copied over together with any other things I decide I might need (e.g. the odd 'Pref' file).

Make a backup and check it, before you do this. When reinstalling, I prefer to make a bootable clone (super duper, carbon copy cloner). This way you keep a working system, you can boot into, if necessary.

Jul 8, 2012 2:08 AM in response to léonie

Thanks very much. I do have back-ups, several 🙂 Vault, Time Machine and Clone. Paranoid about upgrade fails.

I tried Open Office and Neo Office (not sure, they may even be the same) but I found them quite clunky and not a partcularly pleasant user experience. I opted for Office 2011 because I was so familiar with Office for PC. I find Outlook quite poorly executed in all honesty, adding another level of sync complexity that achieves little. I realise I actually use Outlook ONLY for mail and these days, I think Mac Mail is better. The Word/Excel aps are OK but 90% of what they do I don't need. I've never found Excel visually appealing. Then of course there are the MS updates, one of which wiped all my contacts, requiring me to fire them back in Address Book, losing groupings and such like, and all assigned ring/SMS tones. Over time I've just begun to think why am I bothering. This product key issue is yet another hurdle to jump. I no longer need to collaborate with others, rarely do much more than the odd letter these days and my spreadsheets are little more than lists of outgoings and such like, very simple and simple is a thing that I think Numbers does better than Excel. Figure I just don't need the hassle or the overkill. I'll likely get a key from MS but just write it down and store it with the discs. I'll wait for Mountain Lion then and hopefully an iWork update. Fortunately I paid only around £40 for Office via an education programme. No way would I pay full retail for the 'privelege'.

I know what you are saying about Migration Assistant but over the years I've accumulated tons of garbage from ap uninstalls and whatever. I figure there's more junk in my Libraries than files that are actually needed. I think it's just easier to re-instally OSX and copy manually rather than trying to sift through all the garbage weeding it out.

The pain of it of course is the 'convenience' of Lion recovery and a 4-6 hour download 😟. My definition of convenient must differ.

Jul 8, 2012 2:13 AM in response to TechAddict

I know what you are saying about Migration Assistant but over the years I've accumulated tons of garbage from ap unistalls and whatever. I figure there's more junk in my Libraries than files that are actually needed. I think it's just easier to re-instally OSX and copy manually rather than trying to sift through all the garbage weeding it out.

In that case 😀 Good luck!

Jul 8, 2012 4:19 AM in response to TechAddict

Regarding your Aperture Masters. Personally, I would leave them as Referenced but move the Masters to the new internal drive.

Which ever way you do it I would take this opportunity to remove any "deleted" Masters.

When deleting Masters and all Versions I've sometimes had an error about not being able to delete some of the Masters due to permissioms problems, which I've not got to the bottom of, so when I got my new rMBP I took the opportunity to get rid of all these.

The way I did it was instead of simply moving the Masters in Finder to the internal drive then letting Aperture re-connect to the (now) missing Masters, I used File->Relocate Originals to move the Masters from the external drive to the internal. When you've finished, any Masters left in the old location are redundant - they are not referenced by any photo in your Aperture Library. I ended up with over 2GB of redundant Masters out of a total of ~80GB so although doing it this way takes longer, the recovered disk space made it worth the time.

If you wish, you can then convert them to Managed.

Jul 8, 2012 5:42 AM in response to parish_chap

Well done, and, imho, also worth the time.

I recommend double-checking before deleting any Originals by filtering using the rule "File Status" set to "Missing". After your Originals have been relocated and you have checked that no Images have missing Originals, you can safely delete the Originals left behind.

"File Status" set to "Missing" should be an admin Smart Album in any Library that has Referenced Originals.

Jul 8, 2012 6:02 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby Krieger wrote:

I recommend double-checking before deleting any Originals by filtering using the rule "File Status" set to "Missing". After your Originals have been relocated and you have checked that no Images have missing Originals, you can safely delete the Originals left behind.

"File Status" set to "Missing" should be an admin Smart Album in any Library that has Referenced Originals.

Good point, although I assumed the OP would do a check before deleting anything.

Thanks for the tip about the Smart Album for "File Status" = "Missing", I'm going to set one up 😎

The way I check for missing Masters by selecting all photos in the Library, then File->Locate Referenced Files... and in the dialogue, checking "Show Only Files Not Found", but your idea is much better - and it's a real-time check.

Jul 8, 2012 8:49 PM in response to parish_chap

Thanks for replies, great tips. I'll use the 'Relocate' rather than consolidate I think, also the tip for the Missing smart album. One quesry on that though. I just set up the Smart Album with that rule (and nothing else) and there is nothing in the browser. Presume this is what we are after (e.g. in my case, currently, all my masters are either referenced and accounted for or managed and likewise)? At this time the Referenced drive is not plugged in.

Jul 9, 2012 12:09 AM in response to TechAddict

TechAddict wrote:

I just set up the Smart Album with that rule (and nothing else) and there is nothing in the browser. Presume this is what we are after (e.g. in my case, currently, all my masters are either referenced and accounted for or managed and likewise)? At this time the Referenced drive is not plugged in.

Yes - if there's nything in there then Aperture can't find the Master. Without the Reference drive plugged in I would expect everything to be in that album - unless it's because the whole Volume isn't online?

Jul 9, 2012 2:31 AM in response to parish_chap

Hmmm. Odd.

Just to check I'm doing this right.

Open new Smart Album. Delete all the needless criteria. Add a new rule so it ultimately reads Any (Condition), Match, File Status, Missing. Close dialogue.

OK, my Masters are all relocated on an external HDD which is not plugged into the Macbook at all. But, that folder is empty? Does the Masters drive need to be plugged if for it to work?

Sometimes I've found these rules to be a bit temperamental when being set up. I often find that if I amend one after set up it it doesn't work, requiring it to be deleted and set up again.

On the relocation front. Does relocate move the masters back on to the HDD as well? I thought it just found where they were if you happened to lose the connection to them?

Jul 9, 2012 2:44 AM in response to parish_chap

parish_chap wrote:

TechAddict wrote:

I just set up the Smart Album with that rule (and nothing else) and there is nothing in the browser. Presume this is what we are after (e.g. in my case, currently, all my masters are either referenced and accounted for or managed and likewise)? At this time the Referenced drive is not plugged in.

Yes - if there's nything in there then Aperture can't find the Master. Without the Reference drive plugged in I would expect everything to be in that album - unless it's because the whole Volume isn't online?

Um ... no. Aperture differentiates between:

- Master in missing, and

- Master is off-line.

Off-line Masters are not missing. Aperture knows where they are, even though it cannot verify that at the moment (but it can verify that it knows).

Missing Masters are those that Aperture knows are not at the location at which it expects to find them.

You can create a second Smart Album for off-line Masters. Just set the Rule "File Status" to "Off-line".

(Screenshot)

User uploaded file

Jul 9, 2012 3:02 AM in response to TechAddict

TechAddict wrote:

Just to check I'm doing this right.

Open new Smart Album. Delete all the needless criteria. Add a new rule so it ultimately reads Any (Condition), Match, File Status, Missing. Close dialogue.

I recommend using "All" (not "Any"). There will be no difference if only one Rule is enabled. "All" is used much more often, and will usually help trouble-shoot errors in the settings in the Filter/Smart Settings HUD.

TechAddict wrote:

OK, my Masters are all relocated on an external HDD which is not plugged into the Macbook at all. But, that folder [Smart Album is meant] is empty? Does the Masters drive need to be plugged in for it [the Filter, set as specified] to work?

No, and yes 🙂 . When the external drive is not mounted, Aperture will report those Images whose Masters it has verified are not found at the location it expects. This may or may not include Images whose Masters are on the not-mounted drive. When the external drive is mounted, Aperture will still report those Images whose Masters it has verified are not found at the location it expects, but it will have checked to makes sure as soon as the drive was mounted and Aperture was running.

If you mount the drive and Aperture reports no missing Masters, you have no missing Masters. If you unmount the drive, Aperture will still report no missing Masters (but will report off-line Masters). If you mount the drive on another machine, and delete ten of the files Aperture has designated as Masters, Aperture won't know anything about that. If you re-mount the drive on your Aperture machine, Aperture will report ten Images with missing Masters.

TechAddict wrote:

Sometimes I've found these rules to be a bit temperamental when being set up. I often find that if I amend one after set up it it doesn't work, requiring it to be deleted and set up again.

Carefully, doubly, check your settings. There are many small ways in which you might not get the results you expect. I have never found the Filter/Smart Settings HUD to be unreliable.

TechAddict wrote:

On the relocation front. Does relocate move the masters back on to the HDD as well? I thought it just found where they were if you happened to lose the connection to them?

Aperture is literal here. "File➞Relocate Masters" will _move_ the Masters of the selected Images from their current location to whatever location you specify. "File➞Consolidate Masters" will _move_ or _copy_ (it makes you chose) the Masters of the selected Images into the Aperture Library package.

Jul 9, 2012 3:03 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Thanks. I was just about to reply along the same lines having tried all the different options under the File Status rule. The Missing one as you say seems to be just a case of Aperture not knowing where the Masters are with the Referenced / Mastered option indicating which image is under which category and Offline / Online for whether they are available or not. I tried to figure why Offline and Online was needed but I suspect it's for when using multiple drives for referencing.

Anyway. All SEEMS to have gone without hitch at the moment but it'll be a month or two before I reformat the old machine and give it to someone. Just to be 100% sure everything is where it is supposed to be.

The manual migration was quite a painless experience and I am happier that all the crud from years of system upgrades has not copied across. Probably doesn't achieve anything other than my knowing that everything that is on the new machine needs to be there and that it's in the place that, at least for now, is chosen by installers under Lion.

Jul 9, 2012 2:22 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby Krieger wrote:

parish_chap wrote:

TechAddict wrote:

Um ... no. Aperture differentiates between:

- Master in missing, and

- Master is off-line.

Off-line Masters are not missing. Aperture knows where they are, even though it cannot verify that at the moment (but it can verify that it knows).

Missing Masters are those that Aperture knows are not at the location at which it expects to find them.

Yes, that's what I meant, but I worded it really badly - duh! 😊

Move Aperture 3 (Referenced) to New MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.