Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Retina Macbook Pro 3TB Seagate GoFlex Desk drive not being recognized?

So I have a new macbook pro retina desplay. I plugged in my old Seagate GoFlex pro 1TB External Hard drive and it works without a hitch.

I bought a new 3TB Seagate GoFlex Desk drive to do backups on and store extra stuff.

Anyways, I tried both USB ports to plug the 3TB drive in. The drive powers on, I can see the lights but nothing shows up on the desktop, in the finder, or in disk utility.

I plugged it into the other usb port, unplugged it and did that for a bit and then it worked! I partitioned it, into Time Machine backup, a Mac OS(journaled) and Fat32 particians.

Now it doesnt even show up on my computer. Ive tried it on my windows 7 bootcamp, and all the particians show up, and I've also tried it on my mac mini and everything works fine. But not on my Retina Macbook Pro.

Is this some sort of bug with the drive? Or just with the computer.

Any help/tips are appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 10:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 10:59 PM

I think that it's a 'bug' with the USB 3.0 ports. See if this tech note helps - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5172#12.

If it doesn't, you may have to just wait for a firmware update - I suspect that one might be forthcoming as many users are reporting problems with the USB 3.0 ports.

Good luck,

Clinton

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2012 10:59 PM in response to FR33Z3NATOR

I think that it's a 'bug' with the USB 3.0 ports. See if this tech note helps - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5172#12.

If it doesn't, you may have to just wait for a firmware update - I suspect that one might be forthcoming as many users are reporting problems with the USB 3.0 ports.

Good luck,

Clinton

Jul 7, 2012 11:20 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

well I had tried everything on their list many times, and none of it worked. The only 2 times Ive been able to see the drive connected, is once when I first got it plugged in, and then later when I just particianed everything and ran time machine. After that it hasnt been connected at all. and it works on every other computer I try it on. Must just be a bug for apple, considering its one of the first USB 3.0 machines.

I also explored other treads and found many that had the same sort of problem. Whats the best way to go about reporting the bug? Assuming others hae already reported it, but just so I know...

Retina Macbook Pro 3TB Seagate GoFlex Desk drive not being recognized?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.