Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac App Store - App Damaged and Can't Be Opened?

Hello,

This is my first time posting on Apple Support Communities.

I am having a problem with my App Store with launching some purchased apps

When I try and download GTA: San Andreas or GTA: Vice City, they will download successfully, but when I try and launch these applications I get the following error message;

“Grand Theft Auto San Andreas” is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete “Grand Theft Auto San Andreas” and download it again from the App Store.

So, I trash the application and re-download, with the same result.

Here are the steps I have tried to resolve the issue;

1. Run Lion Recovery
2. Reinstall the full combo update (10.7.4)

3. Trashed the system preferences for the App Store

4. Tried to launch the application in a diffrent user

The issue also started after a update for GTA: San Andreas was released.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Blake

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 4:58 AM

10 replies

Jul 8, 2012 5:31 AM in response to blakeg2539

Welcome to Apple Support Communities 🙂

I trash the application and re-download, with the same result.

In case you are not aware, just dragging apps to the Trash doesn't delete all the associated files.

Use ths free utility > Download AppCleaner for Mac

If you haven't emptied the Trash as yet, click and hold down the Trash icon then click Open. Right or control click an app then click Put Back then use the AppCleaner utility then try re download the apps.

How to re download apps from the Mac App Store:

Open the App Store. From the menu bar click Store > Sign In

Click Purchases from the top of the App Store window.

Select which apps you want to re download. Then right or control click where you see Installed then click Install.

Make sure and use the same Apple ID used for the original purchase.

Jul 10, 2012 12:45 AM in response to blakeg2539

I too am having this problem. The application I'm having problems with is OmniFocus.

I've tried the solution above with no success. I had isntalled OmniFocus on my Macbook Pro which worked perfectly, so I also tried copying it across to the Mac Pro but that reported the same error. I also tried clearing out the cache for the App Store and retrying the download after cleaning it. Still no luck.

What is weird is that I downloaded it on the Macbook Pro first and everything was fine, then less than 5 minutes later (using the same internet connection) downloaded it onto the Mac Pro. I figured it was using different servers but it now looks like something on the Mac Pro is effecting the application.

Any help would be appreciated.

Aug 6, 2012 12:38 AM in response to mleich

I installed Mountain Lion at the weekend (clean install) and I've since installed OmniFocus. My original problem is now resolved, however Im a bit wary if it can reoccur in the future for no apparent reason... Might be worth forwarding this thread to someone at OmniGroup so they can comment or at least be aware of the problems.

Mac App Store - App Damaged and Can't Be Opened?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.