Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i download the standard Lion fonts somewhere?

I seem to be mission what I believe should be a standard font for MacOS X 10.7 (Palitino fanily). Where can I download the standard set of fonts for Lion so that I can correct this?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 7:57 AM

12 replies

Jul 8, 2012 9:06 AM in response to Linc Davis

I'm seeing arror messages when I import iBooks Author projects (done by others) saying that there are missing fonts and listing Palitino. My recollection is that Palitino has been a default Mac font just about forever.

Used to be that you'd just pop the install CD or DVD into the computer and re-install Fonts, extra fonts and so on. Now that Lion is a net-based install, that seems to have gone by the wayside. Font Book has a "Restore Standard Fonts" item in the File menu but that didn't seem to help. That may simply acticate a deactivated font.

Jul 8, 2012 9:13 AM in response to Frank Lowney1

Back up all data.

Launch the Font Book application and validate all fonts. You must select the fonts in order to validate them. See the built-in help and the support article linked below for instructions. If Font Book finds any issues, resolve them, then boot in safe mode* (by holding down the shift key at the startup chime) to rebuild the font caches. Boot again as usual and test.

Mac 101: Font Book

*Note: If FileVault is enabled under Mac OS X 10.7 or later, or if a firmware password is set, you can’t boot in safe mode. In that case, after running Font Book, launch the Terminal applicationin any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the page that opens.

Drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. After running the command, reboot as usual.

Jul 8, 2012 10:04 AM in response to TildeBee

It is not a System font, however.

I don't know what that means. The Palatino font is in the 10.7 "Essentials" package, and is therefore present in all complete 10.7 installations at /Library/Fonts/Palatino.ttc.

If the OP follows your advice, he'll be creating a font conflict. Either he already has the font and it's been disabled (maybe because of a conflict that already exists), or it's been deleted and he needs to reinstall the OS.

Jul 8, 2012 10:25 AM in response to TildeBee

I found this reference which seems to be authoritative (from Apple):

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5098

My reading of it is that Palitino is not a System Font (located in /System/Library/Fonts) but it is a Library font ( located in /Library/Fonts).

I found a copy of Palitino and used FontBook to install it. Looking at /Library/Fonts, I see that it's there. I tested its usability in Pages and it works as expected. Now that I have an authoritative list, I can check to see what else, if anything, is missing.

Thank you all for the help.

can i download the standard Lion fonts somewhere?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.