Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 Pro, OS X 10.6.8 Server, Open Directory?

Hello all.

Here's the setup:

- OS X 10.6.8 Server, latest patches, running Open Directory Master, SMB as PDC - all running smoothly

- I have 2 OS X 10.7 clients connected successfully and all network user accounts (from Open Directory) are working flawless

- Both of these OS X 10.7 clients are running Windows XP Pro which are all hooked up to the PDC Domain and all network users can log in without a problem

- Used to have a Windows XP Pro PC also on the PDC/OD domain, also working flawless when it comes to network user logon and sharing

The Windows XP Pro PC unfortunately kicked the bucket and I had to purchase a new one running Windows 7. I upgraded it to Windows 7 Pro. After fiddling with it for a day I was able to join the PDC/OD domain. The file and printer sharing across the domain is working fine, however I am unable to log in with network user accounts on that Windows 7 Pro machine. Keep on getting the same message:

The trust relationship between this workstation and primary domain failed.

So not sure what is happening here, or if Windows 7 Pro will work with OS X 10.6.8, Open Directory and SMB PDC? Again, this is the only machine that has problems. It is fresh out of the box with Windows 7 Pro upgraded.

If anyone has an idea please let me know. Thanks.

Martin

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), OS X Server

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 9:04 AM

1 reply

Jul 9, 2012 10:49 AM in response to Martin R. Lerch

The version of Samba that is included in OS X Server 10.6.8 isn't compatible with Windows 7 systems, and you're getting the expected error. -You need Samba 3.3.4 or higher, or a few other versions.

Here's the Samba wiki, with more details.

Based on a quick check on a local OS X Server 10.6.8 box:

$ smbd -V

Version 3.0.28a-apple

That's too old for Windows 7 compatibility.

Apple has dropped Samba in 10.7. (And I don't know off-hand if the Apple CIFS/SMB support that replaced Samba in 10.7 has domain controller capaibilities.)

The options aren't good. Scrounging an XP license, and downgrading. Upgrading Samba in OS X. Instituting a set of domain controllers on Windows or Linux or BSD that are running newer Samba. Or going to a "magic triangle" configuration, which includes implementing Microsoft Active Directory, and Microsoft is aimed at AD for their systems. Possibly some others...

Windows 7 Pro, OS X 10.6.8 Server, Open Directory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.