Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it worth it?

I have an early 2008 MacBook that will not be able to update to Mountain Lion. It's battery recently expanded, and I was wondering if it s worth buying a new battery when it will no longer be able to be updated. Other than the battery it works fine. Its not slow or glitchy in any way. I'm starting college next month and I need a computer. Should I buy a new one or just get a new battery?

MacBook

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 9:36 AM

11 replies

Jul 8, 2012 9:40 AM in response to beckifromnc

If your needs for the first year of college are limited to what you could do with only a new batery, save the money for now and get a job to earn more money in that first year to put towards a new one when you *need* it.

If you do need Cloud or something not offered in less than Lion or ML, then all of the signs are there to read -- find the money for a new one.

Jul 8, 2012 10:15 AM in response to beckifromnc

If your Macbook works for you and does what you want it to do, then it's best to get a new battery for it.

So it's not compatible with Mountain Lion....Is that a big deal for you? Lion is out and some Macbook owners are still chugging along with Leopard and Snow Leopard since it works for them.

My suggestion, go with a new battery so you can use it in college and maybe in a year or two, get a Macbook.

My .02 cents.

Jul 9, 2012 9:41 AM in response to beckifromnc

beckifromnc wrote:

It's outdated because it cant update to Mountain Lion and its only 4 years old.

I'm only using it for papers and research.

Just because you can run Mountain Lion, it doesn't mean you can't do anything with it. If it's so important to you to upgrade your os, then go with Lion. I'm sure you can do a lot when you install lion. But I think you should be fine with what you have now.

Since you're only using it for papers and research, do you really need a new laptop/notebook for that?

Upgrade your RAM if you wish to get a little more life from your Macbook.

Is it worth it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.