Skip navigation

Possible to setup MacBook as device like Ipod .... and sync to desktop computer?

213 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2012 6:40 PM by b noir RSS
comanche8 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 8, 2012 9:58 AM

Possible to setup new MacBook Air as device for itunes .... and sync to my desktop computer? 

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • b noir Level 9 Level 9 (71,990 points)

Sort of, via Home Sharing. The analogue of "syncing" would be to connect to the Desktop library from the Air via the Home Share, then select "Items not in my library" in the "Show" menu, and then either select all and import, or select some of the items and import.

You'd have to transfer across playlist metadata by other means. Could walk you through that too, if you like.

• b noir Level 9 Level 9 (71,990 points)

and only want to move certain playlisted music to my Mac .... maybe 1k files

Can be done.

Start on the Air. Select the Desktop library. Click the wee disclosure triangle next to the name of the library on the desktop. You should see a "Playlist" entry below that. Click the wee disclosure triangle next to that. Select the playlist that you want to transfer content from. Select some or all of the songs, and click "Import".

Here's a screenshot showing that on my system:

home share transfer from a specific playlist.png

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.