Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not downloading pictures from camera

I am new to Mac... I have tried to download picures from my camera, and when I plug the camera to my Mac, and turn the camera on to download pics as I have to my PC, there is no response from the computer to prompt me. I have even clicked into iPhoto, turned on my camera and still no response to upload pics. I have noticed the same when trying to load a cd to my iTunes. What can I do? Or is there a problems with the Mac?

Help!

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 10:05 AM

7 replies

Jul 8, 2012 5:36 PM in response to livingthedream

Click on the Apple (top left). Choose System Preferences. Under Hardware choose CDs & DVDs.

Check each item and choose what you want the computer to do.

Example: When you insert a music CD: Open iTunes

When you insert a picture CD: Open iPhoto

Camera photos should open automatically in iPhoto if your camera CD was installed on your computer. A new iMac should have a memory card slot next to the CD/DVD slot. There are USB adaptors for memory cards also.

Jul 8, 2012 7:07 PM in response to 4pargolfer

4Paragolfer - Thanks for the suggestion. I checked my preferences, and they currently read as per your example. For whatever reason the Mac is not recognizing the CD or when the camera is hooked up via the USB. I also removed the memory card from the camera, plugged it into the slot uder the CD drive as noted, and still no response from the Mac.

I had also shut the Mac down when I initially realized it was not recognizing the CDs or camera, figuring perhaps something had times out since I had left the computer on for a couple of days.

Any suggestions?

Jul 8, 2012 8:55 PM in response to livingthedream

The only thing I can think of is to try First Aid. Follow these steps:

Finder - Applications - Utilities - Disk Utility (First Aid)

1. Highlight (click) the Macintosh HD

2. Click Disk Permissions (this will take awhile, and a strange list will appear)

3. Click Repair disk Permissions

This routine oftens helps when software, etc. seems to get scrambled after downloading many programs. It shouldn't be a routine needed on a new computer, but who knows.

If it doesn't work, then my guess is somethings wrong with the Mother Board, and Apple should take care of it.

Good luck.

Jul 9, 2012 6:20 AM in response to livingthedream

I doubt this is a hardware problem. Most likely, you simply don't have the settings and preferences set the way you need to.

I think you need to configure the Image Capture application in order to import your photos. From there, you can configure which program opens when your camera is connected (iPhoto, image capture, or nothing).

See here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2498

not downloading pictures from camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.