Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does SMB work on 10.7.4 (WinXP)

I am thinking of upgrading to 10.7.4 from 10.6.8. But before I do, I want to make sure that I can still access all my Windows XP shares like I am now.

Are there any issues that will prevent this on Lion (latest)?

Thanks,

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 10:53 AM

You should be able to connect to any SMB/CIFS shares from the Mac. It is going in the other direction that can be a problem. i.e. creating an SMB share on the Mac. Apple replaced Samba (open source SMB) with their own solution. The problem is that the Samba team changed heir license and Apple decided not to use Samba as a result. There are many hardware appliances that use Samba and Apples implementation is based on the latest features of CIFS. These older Samba devices that would connect to Mac OS X SMB shares will likely fail after upgrading to Lion.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2012 10:53 AM in response to rayray519

You should be able to connect to any SMB/CIFS shares from the Mac. It is going in the other direction that can be a problem. i.e. creating an SMB share on the Mac. Apple replaced Samba (open source SMB) with their own solution. The problem is that the Samba team changed heir license and Apple decided not to use Samba as a result. There are many hardware appliances that use Samba and Apples implementation is based on the latest features of CIFS. These older Samba devices that would connect to Mac OS X SMB shares will likely fail after upgrading to Lion.

Does SMB work on 10.7.4 (WinXP)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.