Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can´t change audio out port to a line in / Macbook pro 2012 13"

Hey there,

I can´t change my Audio Port to a line - in, there is no ability to do that in the sound preferences, I how someone is able to help me.

Thx

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 11:03 AM

10 replies

Sep 13, 2012 9:16 AM in response to dominic23

Yikes!

I just got my new MacBook Pro i7 13 inch and am delirious with this machine --- until I tried to plug my guitar into it....

Apparently the 15 inch display models in the store have both innies and out-ies.

NOT THE 13s!

How could they MISS THAT?

Hmmm.

Better yet, how could I?

I have the monster iStudio link to use with my iMac, that works with my synth and guitars beautifully.

I figured I could just change the settings for the audio in either Sys prefs or GarageBand prefs

NO DICE!

😟

GarageBand > Prefs > Audio/MIDI only offers 2 choices for input:

System Setting or Built in Mic

It didn't detect MIDI input or anything else for that matter.

So I think I need a new gadget :

Griffin Technology iMic USB Audio Interface - GC16035

OK well it CAN be done, People. We just need to flaunt CREATIVITY, right?

Musicians after all....

It could be EASIER with 2 ports, yes, but I'll work with what I have.

Sep 13, 2012 3:19 PM in response to Whitewolf22

UPDATE!

OK I just got my little part from the MAC store- they run from 30 and change to 40 bucks or so- works like a charm!

🙂

I'm happy.

Anything with 1/8 male ( headphone jack size ) on one side and USB on the other, you can pretty much PNP.

So if you're on the MacBook Pro- and you use GarageBand, or work with any sort of audio projects,

the GRIFFIN iMic is HIGHLY recommended.

( My white Macbook is down at the moment, but I'd say this would work on that as well, I have no way of testing to report for sure, but it's sporting the same AUDIO OUT ONLY jack- and I had ran into the same problem THEN.)

So for my electric guitars and my synth, I have iStudio link plugged into iMic and that plugs in USB port on your MBPro!

Go to the prefs and there it is.

I don't have a cassette player around, but apparently you can also transfer your music with this gadget too.

I'll have to try it out on a few things. ( I've only had it an hour or so, but I did lay a guitar track, playback was clear as a bell. It definitely WORKS )

The guy at the MAC store said it may have been because of a size issue that they decided for the 13 inch to have USB input. ( meaning it's just NO WAY WIRED for INPUT AUDIO on THAT JACK )

Whereas they had more wiggle room for both jacks in the bigger MBPs.

I ASSUMED the 13 came with both jacks, on the web page I didn't notice it was a button to check comparison side views, and the page automatically opened to 15 inch display. And the store I bought my baby at, they had the 15 inch out for display- I saw both and made my assumption....

On the bright side, the little round white handy dandy dealie-bob has got all sorts of cool uses!

you've got:

LINE

MIC

IN
OUT > to USB device

So ONE MORE STEP GUYS and you're good to go- get the gadget, plug it in, make music and be happy!

🙂

Oct 16, 2012 5:00 PM in response to David Estes

Yes, I mentioned it in my above post, the gadget is called:

GRIFFIN iMic

It won't let me post an a -mazon link here- just put GRIFFIN iMic in google, ( I've seen them priced lower than what I paid, but I wanted it RIGHT NOW- so it was about $40.00, but online from around $30.00).

They didn't sell this where I got my computer BestBuy, but I KNOW the MACSTORE carries them and several music stores do as well.

Actually since I've gotten this part, I have found a few more uses for it as well, onscreen recording so you can record your online classes and lectures, and not have all the various open air noises that can happen, doors slamming, kittens knocking things over on your desk, phones ringing, texts, etc and get a pristine recording of whatever you may want to use at a later time ( that was run on my iMac headphones> input turned out beautifully ) and fine on the MacbookPro 13" with one jack ( headphone turned to output jack ) just plug into USB and whatever headphone/ in / out jack

Oh but onscreen recordings- TURN OFF your social messages- the ones that BEEP you - cuz it will grab that sound!

I'm still figuring out the perfect volume there, and obviously do a 30 sec test to make sure everything is routed properly.

But like I said:

IN
OUT
LINE
MIC =

PERFECT

I know as mentioned earlier.. it's the whole shelling out more bucks 😟, but in all seriousness, this pup is worth it- I give it the thumbs up all the way. I've got a couple electric guitars, and a micro-korg xl, and a CZ1 synth, the MAIN reasons I bought it were for my garageband projects, but pretty much if you fiddle around with video and audio on any level, move stuff around to run it thru other programs---

you NEED a "bridge". This is IT!

GRIFFIN iMic

It will take you across that river safely with no static!

Now I will also add I also keep other various cables, iMonster link, and a double male 1/8, extensions, and jack converters 1/8 to 1/4, Y patch, etc. All of these can be used between computers, amps, pedals, speakers, cams, TVs, video games, etc.

And I have found them pretty darn cheap on freebay... you know the place..... takes about a week from China or whatever $20.00 cable for $2.00 ( can you tell I take pride in my NO CORD WASTED box? )

Definitely worth it. You've come this far already, this is an investment into your equipment, and that's how I see it.

Happy Hunting!

>^:^<

Can´t change audio out port to a line in / Macbook pro 2012 13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.