Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie '09 Projects Disappeared From Project Library

All of my iMovie projects inexplicably disappeared from the library. When I click on a project file in the Movies folder, the iMovie '09 icon bounces and iMovie opens...but the selected project does not appear. I've also tried to drag a project file into iMovie...but again, nothing happens.

As it is now, I have no way to edit my projects. How do I get projects to appear in the Project Library

Mac OS X (10.6.8), IMovie '09 version 8.0.6

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 12:18 PM

5 replies

Jul 9, 2012 5:34 AM in response to jerryfromlaguna beach

Is it possible you have moved the projects in the Finder?

iMovie expects to find the project in the Movies/iMovie Projects folder. If they are on an external drive, they should be in the iMovie Projects folder at the top level of the drive. If they are anywhere else, iMovie will not see them.

The solution is to move them back and restart iMovie.

If that is not it, post back.

Jul 9, 2012 1:05 PM in response to AppleMan1958

My fingers were crossed...but alas, things remain the same.

My iMovie projects do appear in the Finder / iMovie Projects folder on my internal drive. I checked Get Info and the files seems to be in order. But when I click on a project, it does not appear in the Project Library on iMovie.

I did go to my external drive, go back to when I knew the projects were displayed in the Project Library and "restored" a single project. I then went back to my internal drive, clicked on that restored project in the iMovie Projects folder.... but unfortunately, it did not appear in the iMovie Project Library.

Curiously, I have started another project and the editing processing is working as it should. But that is the only project that appears in the iMovie Project Library.

Jul 9, 2012 2:13 PM in response to jerryfromlaguna beach

You cannot open a project by clicking on it in the Finder. You cannot open a project by dragging it into iMovie.

The project needs to be in the Movies/iMovie Projects folder on your startup drive.

Then restart iMovie.

If you have done this and iMovie still does not see it, it is possible that the project file is corrupted somehow.

I don't know how to repair this except to go back to a working version from Time Machine.

Jul 9, 2012 4:29 PM in response to AppleMan1958

I did go back in Time Machine and restored a project as a test. I also went back and restored an earlier iMovie '09. Both were dates I knew the project did show in the iMovie Project Library. Unfortunately....nothing. I even reinstalled iMovie '09 from the installation disc thinking that maybe the program had become corrupted. Struck out there too! Very frustrating to say the least.

When I replace my Mac in a couple of weeks, will the iLife '11 iMovie version 9.0 be able to retrieve the iMovie '09 projects?

Jul 10, 2012 7:21 PM in response to jerryfromlaguna beach

Not really a solution or an explanation... but I started a new iMovie project and noticed that file showed alone up in a new folder in Finder / Movies. I dragged one of my old projects into this folder and then activated iMovie. What do you know...that old project reappeared up in the iMovie Project Library, along with the recently started project. I dragged the other completed projects into this new folder and all is well. Go figure...

iMovie '09 Projects Disappeared From Project Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.