Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express won't connect to wifi network.

I have a brand new airport express that doesn't want to connect to my wifi network. The wifi network uses Cisco and is WEP. I have already rebooted, reset and even tried putting a $ in front of the password in case it is a wep problem. I have 3 macs, 2 ipads, 2 iphones and an AppleTV that connect with no problems.

If I hook the airport express directly to my computer, to connect it to airport utility, it actually causes my entire wifi network to crash.

I want to use the airport express exclusively to play air tunes and would be fine running an ethernet connection to my home network if that was better.

Airport Express-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 12:46 PM

The WEP standard provides support for either:

• A 10 hexidecimal digit or 5 ASCII character key for 40-bit WEP, OR
  • A 26 hexidecimal digit or 13 ASCII character key for 128-bit WEP

In order to make things easier, vendors use certain algorithms to convert simple alphanumeric passwords (or passphrases) into HEX keys, thus enabling the use of simple easy to remember WEP password rather than lengthy HEX keys. The problem is that different vendors use different algorithms to generate the HEX key and therefore a ASCII password on a Cisco router will be hashed differently than on a Apple client and vice versa.

In addition, the 802.11n AirPorts do NOT support either 40-bit or 128-bit WEP in the "n" Radio Mode. You will have to switch to one of the non-"n" modes to access these wireless security options. When operating in 802.11n, the only WEP option is the WEP (Transitional Network Security) mode. Note: This mode only supports using 13 ASCII character keys. You may find the following Apple Support article helpful: AirPort: Joining an encrypted WEP or WPA Wi-Fi Network

One option would be to change the Cisco to provide WPA or WPA2 wireless security.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2012 12:46 PM in response to Speedy Creek

The WEP standard provides support for either:

• A 10 hexidecimal digit or 5 ASCII character key for 40-bit WEP, OR
  • A 26 hexidecimal digit or 13 ASCII character key for 128-bit WEP

In order to make things easier, vendors use certain algorithms to convert simple alphanumeric passwords (or passphrases) into HEX keys, thus enabling the use of simple easy to remember WEP password rather than lengthy HEX keys. The problem is that different vendors use different algorithms to generate the HEX key and therefore a ASCII password on a Cisco router will be hashed differently than on a Apple client and vice versa.

In addition, the 802.11n AirPorts do NOT support either 40-bit or 128-bit WEP in the "n" Radio Mode. You will have to switch to one of the non-"n" modes to access these wireless security options. When operating in 802.11n, the only WEP option is the WEP (Transitional Network Security) mode. Note: This mode only supports using 13 ASCII character keys. You may find the following Apple Support article helpful: AirPort: Joining an encrypted WEP or WPA Wi-Fi Network

One option would be to change the Cisco to provide WPA or WPA2 wireless security.

Airport express won't connect to wifi network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.