Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto folders vs albums

Some iPhoto tutorials show how to first create a folders, and then create albums in these folders.

Why do you need folders. Can you simply create albums of photos??

AppleTV 2

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 1:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 1:45 PM

You don't need to create folders. Folders are just a way to group albums and keep the album list in the sidebar a bit shorter.

That is you get this: instead of this:

User uploaded file User uploaded file

It's just an organizational tool. Some use it to duplicate the folder hierachy they used to have on their PCs:

User uploaded file

OT

19 replies

Mar 5, 2014 7:26 AM in response to Richard B Miller Jr

Richard B Miller Jr wrote:

Could you just skip albums altogether and just use folders for everything? It seems a bit confusing and needleessly complicated. Why not just put folders inside folders and not have to think about "is this an album or a folder I need here"? I'm coming from a PC to Mac though, so that may be clouding my view. Thanks, Richard

No - since folder can not hold photos

albums hold photos - folder hold albums or other folders

LN

Mar 6, 2014 6:44 AM in response to Yer_Man

this was in response to richard's:

Could you just skip albums altogether and just use folders for everything ?
But i admit the best advice here for many coming here, being new to iphoto and being rebuked by the "apparent" (🙂) complexity of iphoto, would be to hang on there for at least a few weeks ( or months ) ! When you get the "knack" of it, you'll probably love it.

Mar 6, 2014 8:14 AM in response to clodo9

clodo9 wrote:

a way to use folders would be to put all your photos in "Documents" ...

That is NOT using iPhoto and at best has no effect on iPhoto and at worst would lead one to move photos around within the iPhoto library thereby destroying their library

The correct answer is that n iPhtoo (the context of the quetion) folders simply can not hold photos - you make albums of photos and then make folder to hold albums for organization

LN

Mar 6, 2014 10:43 AM in response to Yer_Man

richard was NOT asking in the context of iphoto :

I think for what I am doing I may want to use Finder and files.

i repeat what i said: to newcomers to iphoto: give yourself a few weeks ( or months ) of practicing iphoto ;

it is sometimes not as intuitive as some might want us to believe...

We have ample proof of this on this forum...

Mar 6, 2014 10:51 AM in response to clodo9

Actually the question is totally in the context of using iPhoto

iPhoto folders vs albums

His later comment is trying to understand how iPhoeo works - and yoru suggestion is not at all helpful and as I pointed out may lead to an inexperianced user destroying their iPhoto library

Your answer is confusing and dangerous

the answer for using iPhoto as the OP requested is

That is NOT using iPhoto and at best has no effect on iPhoto and at worst would lead one to move photos around within the iPhoto library thereby destroying their library

The correct answer is that in iPhtoo (the context of the question) folders simply can not hold photos - you make albums of photos and then make folder to hold albums for organization

Arguing and posting poor, misleading or incorrect suggestions is really not a good idea and helps no one

LN

iPhoto folders vs albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.