Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outbox won't empty and freezing computer

I recently attempted to email an 800 MB video. This was a very dumb idea. The email became stuck in my outbox. Now anytime I open Mail it freezes my computer. Mail won't let me delete the email. I have tried restarting multiple times to no avail. I even removed my email address and reset it up into Mail. Still, Mail remembered the email I tried to send and continues to freeze my computer any time I open Mail. Any advice would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 1:20 PM

5 replies

Jul 8, 2012 5:51 PM in response to zombieinmiami

Quit Mail, and in the Finder open your Home account Library, locate the Mail folder, and within the Mailboxes folder. Within the Mailboxes folder find and delete the Outbox folder. Relaunch Mail, and when you next send Mail will create a new Outlbox.

To see the Library in your Home folder, remember to hold down the Go key and the Library will appear as a choice.

This was posted without double checking for any difference in Lion, and if something doesn't seem as I suggested, let me know I will boot into Lion to tidy up the advice.

Ernie

Outbox won't empty and freezing computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.