Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexpected power behavior (sleep, shutdowns) after repair

I recently sent my MacBook Pro (Early 2008, 15") into a computer shop to have the right speaker replaced. Shortly afterwards, the machine began exhibiting unusual behavior; it started unexpectedly sleeping or shutting down while I was using it.

(Note: My MBP battery is perma-drained almost completely, so prior to sending the computer in, the computer might unexpectedly shut down if running solely on battery.)

I reset the SMC and thought nothing of it, until the mac shut down unexpectedly again, almost 24 hours exactly after the SMC was reset. I then decided to run the Apple Hardware Test.

It froze on 'testing logic board'. Twice.

I have since reset the SMC again, and am unsure if problems will continue. If these power issues do recur, what should I do?

Notes:

• I installed smcFanControl after the first shutdown. Whatever's going on, it doesn't appear to be the result of an overheat.

• Before you ask, I am not under an Apple warranty.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 1:12 PM

1 reply

Jul 9, 2012 5:06 PM in response to SoItBegins

The problems have continued, albeit very intermittently. I was able to get the system log after one unexpected sleep. Here's what it said:

Jul 9 16:25:24 Dragonfly loginwindow[35]: loginwindow SleepWakeCallback WILL sleep

Jul 9 16:27:24 Dragonfly loginwindow[35]: loginwindow SleepWakeCallback will power on, Currenttime:7/9/2012 4:27:24.010 PM - Waketime:7/9/2012 4:27:24.000 PM = Deltatime:0.009685874

Jul 9 16:27:27 Dragonfly configd[13]: Sleep: Success - AC 98 - Low Power Sleep

Jul 9 16:27:27 Dragonfly configd[13]: Wake: Success - AC 98 - UHC3

Jul 9 16:27:27 Dragonfly configd[13]: Hibernate Statistics

Jul 9 16:27:28 Dragonfly configd[13]: PMConnection AirPort configd plug-in com.apple.powermanagement.applicationresponse.slowresponse 4263 ms

Jul 9 16:27:28 Dragonfly configd[13]: PMConnection IPConfiguration com.apple.powermanagement.applicationresponse.slowresponse 4270 ms

Jul 9 16:27:28 Dragonfly configd[13]: network configuration changed.

"Low Power Sleep"? On AC power, with the battery fully charged? I suspect something's up with the power management system, but I don't know enough to be sure either way. Anyone have any ideas?

Unexpected power behavior (sleep, shutdowns) after repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.