Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATI Radeon HD 5450

I have a Mac Pro Quad-Core Xeon running Snow Leopard. I installed a ATI Radeon HD 5450 graphics card as a second video card. The system profiler shows the card in Slot 2 but it says that there is no kext loaded. The drivers for the ATI 5xxx cards are supposed to be in the OS. How do I get the system to recognize it?

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2017 4:31 PM

Hi Grant,

I have been speaking to you about my mac pro with ate radeon hd 3870 pc card running el capitan on my post, I've just come across this post and noticed you have posted on it too, I see this changing on device id and wondering if i should be given this a go?

Find /System/Library/Extensions/ATI2000Controller.kext

(right click and select "Show Package Contents")

find the file info.plist within that kext.

Scroll down a ways until you get to a line called <key>IOPCIMatch</key>, after that should be a <string> line with lots of 0x0 numbers in it.

use some type of texteditor and add the device ID of your video card to the end of that <string>, an HD5450 should be 0x68F91002.

You can find the Device ID by installing the video card in an additional slot and going to "About This Mac" -> "More Info" -> "System Report" -> "Graphics Displays".

You should see Device ID 0x68f9.

Add 1002 to end of that value, so it reads 0x68F91002.

Reboot computer and OSX should now display it as ATI Radeon 5000 with correct memory amount. You can plug it into the main graphics slot. You will not get a white boot screen, but it will eventually show the desktop.

But should i try and change the device id in ATI2000Controller.kext? or could i use the AMD3000Controller.kext to enter the device id? thanks

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2017 4:31 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant,

I have been speaking to you about my mac pro with ate radeon hd 3870 pc card running el capitan on my post, I've just come across this post and noticed you have posted on it too, I see this changing on device id and wondering if i should be given this a go?

Find /System/Library/Extensions/ATI2000Controller.kext

Scroll down a ways until you get to a line called <key>IOPCIMatch</key>, after that should be a <string> line with lots of 0x0 numbers in it.

use some type of texteditor and add the device ID of your video card to the end of that <string>, an HD5450 should be 0x68F91002.

You can find the Device ID by installing the video card in an additional slot and going to "About This Mac" -> "More Info" -> "System Report" -> "Graphics Displays".

Reboot computer and OSX should now display it as ATI Radeon 5000 with correct memory amount. You can plug it into the main graphics slot. You will not get a white boot screen, but it will eventually show the desktop.

But should i try and change the device id in ATI2000Controller.kext? or could i use the AMD3000Controller.kext to enter the device id? thanks

Oct 21, 2013 6:31 AM in response to The hatter

Find /System/Library/Extensions/ATI5000Controller.kext

Dec 27, 2014 6:40 PM in response to Westrock

This seems to have worked fine for me, going from the stock (256M ATI 2600) video card in my MacPro3,1 running 10.7.5 ("Lion") to a "SAPPHIRE 100292DDR3L ATI HD5450" with 1G from newegg. 4x the video ram, HDMI, and fanless, for $30: I can live without a boot screen for that (but I am saving the old card!) I edited the .plist file with a plain text editor ("sudo emacs ...") and it worked without any glitches that I can see.

ATI Radeon HD 5450

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.