Previous 1 2 Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2014 12:24 AM by DanTaAppleLover
Angel Llorente Level 1 (35 points)

I use a PowerPC G4 Mac; run OS X 10.5.8 Leopard.  I have a CD-ROM for Windows that I would like to convert to OS X.  What software will I need to do that?

Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver 2002) Dual, Mac OS X (10.4.11), I also use MacOS 9.2.2
  • Kappy Level 10 (265,914 points)

You cannot convert a Windows application to run in OS X. To run Windows software requires an emulator. Search for Windows emulators that run on PPC machines.

• evilninjection Level 2 (235 points)

More specifically google "Darwine"

• christopher rigby1 Level 4 (2,115 points)

If you mean "convert the Windows OS to Mac OS X", that is an absolute impossibility.

• Neville Hillyer Level 4 (1,865 points)

Do you know what is on the CD?

Have you tried it? If so what happens?

If it contains applications you will not be able to use these on OS X.

If it contains HTML or other navigation it may not work on a Mac unless it was designed to be cross platform - eg Macs don't like \ in place of /.

If it won't mount but you can see it in Disk Utility then make an image of it and open that.

If it contains data but won't mount it could have open sessions - use Burn in Disk Utility to close sessions.

I hope this helps.

• MlchaelLAX Level 4 (2,022 points)

Angel Llorente wrote:

I use a PowerPC G4 Mac; run OS X 10.5.8 Leopard.  I have a CD-ROM for Windows that I would like to convert to OS X.  What software will I need to do that?

Connectix' VirtualPC will run either Windows 98 or Windows XP on a PowerMac G4 and allow you to run your Windows CD-ROM.  It comes with WIndows bundled with it.

As a legacy package, you would have to find it used, most likely on eBay.

I have my original copy of VirtualPC, but I am not willing to sell it, as I have "extracted" the licensed copy of Windows XP and that is the copy of WIndows XP that I use in BootCamp/Parallels 7 to this day.

Windows in emulation will run slowly on the PowerPC G4, but it is the only way you can run your Windows CD-ROM on your Mac.  Once you get the CD-ROM running, the slowdown in speed will be less noticable than operations within Windows itself.

• Angel Llorente Level 1 (35 points)

Thanks, Kappy, evilninjection, christopher rigby1, Neville Hillyer, for your assistance in this matter!!

• a brody Level 9 (65,743 points)

VirtualPC for Mac was bought, then discontinued by Microsoft. See my tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2741

• MlchaelLAX Level 4 (2,022 points)

a brody wrote:

VirtualPC for Mac was bought, then discontinued by Microsoft. See my tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2741

BE CAREFUL: this comment can be confusing to the OP, who is using a PowerPC G4 Mac!

The versions of VirtualPC released by Microsoft were written to run on the PowerPC G5.

So if the OP looks on the used market for a copy of VirtualPC that will run on his PowerPC G4 Mac, he needs to find the version released by Connectix that will run on his particular Mac.

Thanks a lot, a brody, and MlchaelLAX, for your support in this tricky issue!!!  Someone said that I might have some success using "MacLinkPlus Deluxe."  What is MacLinkPlus Deluxe?

• Allan Eckert Level 9 (50,709 points)

MacLinkPlus is a data file converter. So if you have a data file in a PC fromat some times MLP is able to convert it to another format so that a Mac program can work with it.

In your case it is totally worthless for what you want to do.

Allan

Did I miss something?

Do we know what is on this CD?

Is it an application, text, HTML, Word, images?

Does anybody know?

Thank you, Allan Eckert, for your support!!!

The CD-ROM: "Total Car Care CD-ROM: General Motors, Trucks, Suvs & Vans 1982-1999"

• a brody Level 9 (65,743 points)

Disks like that often already have Mac compatible files that require no Windows.  Look to see if there are .doc, .pdf, xls, or .ppt files.  Any of those can open with LibreOffice, and Preview.  Only .exe files need Windows.

Angel,

What happens when you try it in your Mac?

Previous 1 2 Next