Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

putting pictures on System 7.1 with floppy disk created on Windows PC

Hi all, I have a Quadra 605 on system 7.1 that I've been experimenting with, would like to get some pictures transferred onto it. I tryed using apple file exchange which is on the Quadra to read a Windows DOS formatted disk with some pictures on it. I was able to copy the files from the disk to the hard drive on the Quadra using file exchange, but when I click on the icon to try to open the picture, I get a message that it can not be opened because the application program that created it can not be found. Is there something else I need to install on the Quadra to open a JPEG image or is there another way to go about doing this? I will not be able to connect the quadra to the internet, all I have is the floppy disk drive, there is no USB port either. Also, I have an iMac on system 9.2 that I copied some pictures to a floppy using the external floppy drive on the iMac. It would open the disk on the Quadra without using file exchange, but it wouldnt open the icons either - I would get the same message that the application program that created it can not be found. Anyhow, I have the iMac on system 9.2 that I can use as well if need to be.

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 11:49 PM

9 replies

Jul 9, 2012 4:04 AM in response to ipodconnected

An appropriate 68k version of the shareware program GraphicConverter could be one possibility.

http://www.lemkesoft.com/content/207/download-old-versions.html

An older web browser could be another. Try to open the file from within the application (via the Open dialogue); do not just double-click on it.

However, if not already available, one problem would be to transfer a program to the Quadra 605 if the file size is over 1.4 MB.

Some compression utilities can segment larger files for transfers on multiple floppies, but that would require compatibility on both sides.

Another way could be to use a null-modem cable between a DB-9M serial port of a Windows PC and the MiniDIN-8F Modem Port of the Quadra. The null-modem link can be created by connecting a PC-style DB-9F to DB-25F null-modem cable together with a normal Macintosh DB-25M to MiniDIN-8M hardware handshake modem cable. Normal communications software can be used on both computers (for example, the communications section of ClarisWorks on the Mac, and HyperTerminal on the PC). Do keep a Mac program file downloaded onto a PC in its encoded/compressed state (that is, hqx, bin or sit) until on a Macintosh computer.

Jan

Jul 10, 2012 2:07 AM in response to ipodconnected

Thanks Jan and dalstott for your responses. So it looks like I need another program on the Quadra to read the pictures. So would I download, for example Can Opener onto the Windows PC computer, run the file, then save that onto a floppy disk, take the disk out and insert it into the Quadra, read the disk with file exchange and try and extract the program onto the Quadra?

Jul 10, 2012 4:09 AM in response to ipodconnected

Hi,

I am not familiar with CanOpener (which appears to be a commercial product), but you could download an appropriate small ( <1.4 MB ) Mac freeware/shareware application (perhaps through the link in my previous message) onto your Windows PC. The downloaded file will be encoded BinHex (.hqx) or MacBinary (.bin), or compressed StuffIt (.sit) or CompactPro (.cpt). Do not do anything with the file on the PC, just copy it to a 1.44 MB PC-formatted floppy disk. Then move the floppy to the Quadra, and read it with Apple File Exchange. Copy the file to the hard disk of the Quadra. Once there, use StuffIt Expander (and possibly another decompression tool) to decode/decompress the file.

http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/mac/info-mac/_Compress_&_Translate/

If you do not have StuffIt Expander for the Quadra, see the following discussion for a way of making a floppy containing a ready-to-use Mac version on a Windows PC.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/750212?answerId=3627586022#3627586022

Jan

Jul 10, 2012 9:01 AM in response to dalstott

Can Opener is a Mac application. You would read the PC floppy directly with Apple file exchange installed.

Some info.

Use CanOpener to get into just about any file. Can Opener is a 
Powerful Mac data recovery software. Our famous universal file opener lets you read any file—and extract what you need including text, icons, PICS and more. It’s perfect for browsing all types of files, including old files, foreign files and files your Mac can’t open, and it’s indispensable for recovering text from damaged files - a lifesaver!Plus, CanOpener lets you view virus infected files without launching the virus. So you can safely check suspect files and recover text from them - a powerful way to avoid virus infections!

CanOpener has special text filters that let you…
Extract Names, Phone Numbers, URLs, Email, Web and IP Addresses.
Strip HTML Coding. Remove extra Carriage Returns and blank spaces from email and Web text.
Extract important sentences such as questions or anything containing $‘s and numbers.
Rapidly find clean text in files that contain huge amounts of ‘garbage’

Jul 11, 2012 7:49 AM in response to ipodconnected

OK Jan, the Quadra does not have Stuffit Expander on it, so I followed your instuctions and made the Macintosh Starterpack disk on the PC which contains the Stuffit Expander 401 Installer. The Quadra was able to open the disk and I see the icon for Stuffit Expander 401 Installer which looks like a hand holding a pen writing on a pad of paper. There are a total of 7 items on that disk. I was able to copy all of them to the Macintosh HD on the Quadra except for the Stuffit Expander 401 Installer. I get the message "The file Stuffit Expander 401 Installer couldn't be read, because a disk error occurred. Do you want to continue copying?" And when I click Continue, the floppy drive makes a couple of sounds like its trying to read the disk but it never shows up on the Macintosh HD. So then I tryed to open the Stuffit Expander 401 Installer on the disk itself without copying it to the Macintosh HD. When I tryed that, I get the message "There is not enough memory to open Stuffit Expander 401 Installer. (512K needed, zero K available). Closing windows or quitting desk accessories can make more memory available." There are no other windows open and I don't think I have any desk accessories running. So what would be the next step?

Jul 11, 2012 11:00 AM in response to ipodconnected

Hi again,

Everything looks OK to begin with. The StuffIt Expander 401 Installer normally has a special icon (with a Mac, a floppy and totally three arrows). The generic program icon may change after the file has been moved, or after rebuilding the Desktop.

However, the challenge would be to get the installer file onto the hard disk in the first place. This is usually not a problem. It could of course be an issue with a portion of the floppy disk. If so, try to make a new one. It could also be something with the file system structure on the Quadra's hard disk. If so, run Disk First Aid (from a tools floppy), and repair if necessary. You may also want to rebuild the Desktop.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2344

Jan

putting pictures on System 7.1 with floppy disk created on Windows PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.