Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is apple abandoning EPEAT?

Today I read that Apple is abandoning the registration of its products with EPEAT.

http://www.epeat.net/2012/06/news/apple-leaves-epeat/

Apparently the construction of the new MacBook Pro with retina display is not easy to recycle because everything is fused or glued together. Personally, that would be reason enough for me not to buy it. But why are they abandoning environmental registration for all their products? I think Mr. Jobs is turning over in his grave. This is going to be a problem for educators, schools, and others who use this as a bench mark of enviromental impact.

As a long time Apple user this is sad day.

I hope Tim gets Apple's act together and solves this problem.

- Matthew

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 12:06 AM

3 replies

Jul 9, 2012 4:04 AM in response to Mattelfesso

iPhones and iPads never had ePeat certification. And Apple has made it clear that the Retina MacBook Pro is a sign of things to come. Apple is finally achieving the original intended goal of the original Mac. This is to make a closed box that has no customization and forces consumers to continually buy the next product in the series. Bonding and glueing and sodering and custom connectors ensure that end users do not modify the system.

This does not mean that Apple no longer cares about the environment. This just means that the way Apple is producing its products no longer comply with a standards organization's description of environmentally friendly product design.

Apple continues to use materials that have less of an impact on the environment. Apple continues to reduce packaging materials. Apple continues to reduce the weight of devices.

But I agree that Apple is missing the boat on this one. We support a number of corporations who have adopted green initiatives that include purchasing devices that meet epeat standards unless a viable alternative does not exist.

Why is apple abandoning EPEAT?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.