Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple remote desktop, using remote computer independently

Hi. When using apple remote desktop, can I run programs on a remote computer, if the home computer doesn't have that software?

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 12:41 AM

5 replies

Jul 9, 2012 8:04 AM in response to katzf

I'm not clear on whether the "home" computer will be the remote system, but ARD just allows you to take control of a remote computer (along with other update and management functionality), so any program you wish to run on that remote computer must be installed on it. If by "home" computer you mean that this system would be the one from which you'd be controlling the remote system, then no, the software does not have to be installed on that "home"/"adminstrator" system.

Regards.

Jul 10, 2012 6:32 AM in response to katzf

No. Again, what ARD gives you is the ability to take control of the remote computer. It does not give the administrator /home computer itself any of the software nor capabilites of the remote computer. And unless the remote computer is on the same network as your home computer, in which case there are other ways to share that system's Internet connection, you probably couldn't connect to the remote system at all from a system that lacks Internet capability.

Regards.

Jul 10, 2012 6:42 PM in response to katzf

Hmm, I guess I should rephrase. Can you use the software on the remote computer inside the remote computer from the administrator's computer. In other words, if the remote computer has a program "x" that the administrator does not have, can you open up "x" on the remote computer, and then generate and save a new file on that remote computer's desktop?

thanks again!

apple remote desktop, using remote computer independently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.