Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Book design and film strip.

Hi, everyone.

I have started to design a book in Aperture but can't seem to be able to have all my photos displayed on the film strip window that appears on the bottom of the screen.

I created a project and inside this project (as a sublevel, that is) I have the book I have started and all the albums I will be using for the book. There are numerous albums containing photos that span a period of approximately one year. In total this project has 5859 photos. Only a small subset of these photos will actually be included in the book but I would like to have them all displayed in the film strip so that it is easy for me to choose them and place them in book when I am actually working on the book.

How can I make all my photos in this project appear inside the film strip while I am working on the book ?

Thank you in advance.

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 2:31 AM

A Book is a specialized Album. Any Browser can be set to Grid, Filmstrip, or List. When the Book-album is selected, the Browser should show you all the Images you have put in the Book-album. You can put Images in the Book-album by dragging them from any Browser and dropping them on the name of the Book-album as shown in the Library tab of the Inspector.

Note that "Book-album" is not a term used by Aperture. I use it here:

- to emphasize that the container that you use to create a Book is an album, and

- to differentiate that container from the actual product you design with the tools available in that container.

So select any container (you have set up Albums) of Images that you want available in your Book -- this will gather and show all those Images in the Browser -- select all those Images and drag and drop them on your Book (in the Library tab of the Inspector). Don't worry about double-assigning Images -- Aperture won't allow it (if an Image is already in an Album and you add it, nothing happens).

Does that work?

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- clarifications.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2012 2:31 AM in response to apple_customer

A Book is a specialized Album. Any Browser can be set to Grid, Filmstrip, or List. When the Book-album is selected, the Browser should show you all the Images you have put in the Book-album. You can put Images in the Book-album by dragging them from any Browser and dropping them on the name of the Book-album as shown in the Library tab of the Inspector.

Note that "Book-album" is not a term used by Aperture. I use it here:

- to emphasize that the container that you use to create a Book is an album, and

- to differentiate that container from the actual product you design with the tools available in that container.

So select any container (you have set up Albums) of Images that you want available in your Book -- this will gather and show all those Images in the Browser -- select all those Images and drag and drop them on your Book (in the Library tab of the Inspector). Don't worry about double-assigning Images -- Aperture won't allow it (if an Image is already in an Album and you add it, nothing happens).

Does that work?

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- clarifications.

Jul 9, 2012 2:49 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Hi, Kirby.

I tried just what you described but it didn't work. As I try to drag and drop the albums to the book container it doesn't accept them.

Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong ?

In addition, I am also trying to work with my MacBook Pro as a secondary monitor. I would like to get all my images on the film strip while working on my book to view, select and place them. Once I click on one of the images on the film strip the secondary monitor would display it in full screen mode for me to view it in detail.

How can this be done ?

Thank you for your help and reply.

Jul 9, 2012 2:59 AM in response to apple_customer

As Kirby said:

You can put Images in the Book-album by dragging them from any Browser and dropping them on the name of the Book-album as shown in the Library tab of the Inspector.

You select and drag the images to the book in the film strip not the albums; also you cannot add images again, that already have been included in the book.

Jul 9, 2012 3:14 AM in response to apple_customer

apple_customer wrote:

I tried just what you described but it didn't work. As I try to drag and drop the albums to the book container it doesn't accept them.

As Léonie pointed out, you select containers (in your case, Albums) to show Images in the Browser. You select Images in the Browser and drag-and-drop them on an Album (in your case, a Book-album) to add them to that Album.

You add Images to Albums. You do not add containers to Albums.

apple_customer wrote:

In addition, I am also trying to work with my MacBook Pro as a secondary monitor. I would like to get all my images on the film strip while working on my book to view, select and place them. Once I click on one of the images on the film strip the secondary monitor would display it in full screen mode for me to view it in detail.

How can this be done ?

Start a new thread with this question, and specify your set-up. I'm confused by "my MacBook Pro as a secondary monitor" -- you want to use your laptop's display as a secondary monitor to another computer?

apple_customer wrote:

Hi, Kirby.

Thank you for your help and reply.

You're welcome 😀 .

Jul 9, 2012 3:35 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

Hi, Leonie and Kirby.

Thank you again for your help. I was reluctant at first to drag all the images into the book container in anticipation for how long that whole process would take. It took only 10 or so seconds for the 5859 images to become available in the book's film strip.

Just to clarify as I can see I didn't provide enough details about my setup. I am using a MacBook Pro in clam shell mode connected to an Apple 30" Cinema Display. I wanted to use a secondary monitor to review the photos and thought the notebook's screen that is there but not being used would be a good way to do it. My MacBook Pro is fairly new and has a nice 17" 1920 x 1200 LCD screen with the matte finish on it.

As soon as I resolve the film strip issue I opened my MacBook and the screen became active. I am choosing to keep the external 30" display as the primary display and chose to use the notebook's built-in screen as the secondary monitor. I really didn't have to do anything. Aperture detected the second monitor on its own and as soon as I clicked on an image in the film strip it appeared in full screen mode on the notebook's screen.

Great setup and it will make my job much easier. As unbelieavable as it may seem the notebook's screen, although smaller and with less resolution than that of the exernal 30" display, seems to be sharper and the images almost 'pop' out of the screen.

Thank you again for your help and replies.

Book design and film strip.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.