Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook won't startup

Hello,
I have an ibook G4 with a 1.25GHZ processor. I noticed my airport symbol fading off and on at first...I rebooted it and that seemed to cure the problem. A few days later I noticed a strange noise from the mac, moments later the mac had crashed. I tried rebooting it several times but was stuck on the Apple logo and was trying to boot, the clock below was going round and round. I ran the Hardware Test CD I got with the mac and everything seemed fine. I managed to get it up and running after that but a couple of days later I've not been able to boot it up and my Tiger installation CD is stuck inside and can't get it out.
If anyone out there could advise that would be great.
Thanks
Sophia

iBook G4 1.25GHZ - 512 RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Mar 19, 2006 1:03 AM

11 replies

Mar 19, 2006 2:02 AM in response to Sophia

Hi Sophia, I think the Airport fading is a separate issue which could be to do with the antenna wire, the card itself, the wifi router or interference from other devices/networks around you.
The important thing is to get your iBook up and running again.
Firstly try rebooting by pressing and holding the 'C' key. That should boot you to the stuck DVD. If it does then run disk repair in Utilities>Disk utility. If it says that repairs were done, re-run it until you get the message that 'The Disk appears to be OK'.
Quit DU, quit Installer and select restart.
If it reboots OK to the OS you should then be able to eject the DVD.

Try that first and post back accordingly.

Good luck.

Adrian

ibook G4 1GHz, 768mb; iMac 17" G4:768mb (10.3.9) Mac OS X (10.4.5) Belkin Wireless F5D7632

Mar 19, 2006 10:52 AM in response to Sophia

I'm wondering how much "free capacity or available space" you have on your Hard Drive. OS X requires at least 10 percent free space to accommodate its file swapping operation. Anything less than that and you are walking on very thin ice, so to speak, usually creating hard drive problems.

To determine, single click on the hard drive icon, then select "cmd. key and I" ,or said another way CMD I, to bring up the info panel. Please post back.

Mar 19, 2006 12:38 PM in response to Adrian Clarke1

Hello again..I've tried the utilities and it still gives me error messages..i.e
Invalid B-tree node size
volume checked failed
ERROR : The underlying task reported failure on exit
1. HFS Volume checked
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

Do you think it might be a virus that has caused this or a faulty hard drive ?
Regards
Sophia

Mar 19, 2006 12:57 PM in response to Sophia

Try doing the repair several more times; sometimes you'll get lucky.

But, more then likely, you'll need DiskWarrior to fix that directory problem (it is the best at that). Disk Utility is just not robust enough to handle the bigger errors. Get the CD, not the download, so you can boot up on it.

An Erase and Install will also eliminate this problem, but you'll lose everything on the drive, so make sure you are backed up.

Cheers!
DALE
p.s. there are no OSX viruses as of yet.

Mar 22, 2006 8:34 AM in response to Sophia

Hello again..I've tried the utilities and it still
gives me error messages..i.e
Invalid B-tree node size
volume checked failed
ERROR : The underlying task reported failure on exit
1. HFS Volume checked
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error

Do you think it might be a virus that has caused this
or a faulty hard drive ?
Regards
Sophia

I had this same problem after installing a new hard drive in my iBook. I then erased the whole thing 35 times and reinstalled Tiger. After about three days I got the same problems again.

I removed the hard drive from the iBook and tested it externally. No problems everything works fine. Someone suggested that it might be the hard drive ribbon. I'm not so sure about that as I have installed several hard drives in PowerBooks and iBooks without having ribbon problems. Nevertheless I am in the process of ordering a new Hard drive ribbon.

Any other suggestions. The errors I'm getting are the same as Sophia.

Thanks very much.

iBook won't startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.