Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Library "Aperture ...." is open in (null)

User uploaded file

Some of my Aperture 3.2.4 test libraries on my iMac gave me this message, when I tried to upgrade them to version 3.3.1. Really funny - how to quit process null? So far I have only seen this error message in iPhoto, not in Aperture (only recently, in the context of rebuilding from vaults). Probably this is a consequence of the new, unified iPhoto/Aperture library, that we now see it in Aperture too.

The only thing that worked for me to upgrade the library, was to rebuild it using the Aperture Library First Aid Tools - neither repairing the permissions nor repairing the database did any good. The test libraries in question seemed to have been corrupted in some way, after the upgrade finished, the thumbnails were missing and needed rebuilding.

My question: Has anybody else seen this "open in (null)" error message, when upgrading Aperture Libraries, and if yes, what helped to deal with this problem in your case?

Regards

Léonie

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 3,06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 3:27 AM

Sweet! -- Apple has outsourced their error message writing to Redmond 😝 .

I have not seen that error message. Another fractal upgrade (3.3.0835287643)?

15 replies

Jul 15, 2012 5:40 AM in response to koppernob

Curiouser and curiouser! Looks like I have been lucky, that a simple rebuild did suffice on my libraries. 😀

Just restored a previous version of Aperture from Time Machine and the library opens fine, did a repair, rebuild etc and tried to open again in never version of Aperture and still get the same message 😟

Do you still have the previous Aperture version installed? Then try to do the "import into empty library" trick in Aperture 3.2.4, and then try to upgrade the resulting library.

Jul 16, 2012 10:23 AM in response to koppernob

Hmm that didn't work, clearly a problem with that library as it starts to import and chugs away for a while before hanging uncompleted.

Need to think of another plan, maybe split the library into smaller chunks and convert to 3.3 in sections, that way I might be able to identify if a particular folder or image is causing a problem, could take a while.......

Jul 16, 2012 10:46 AM in response to léonie

Did Aperture crash somehow?

What I think happened is that as of Aperture 3.3, you can share libraries between Aperture and iPhoto. But, because you cannot have the library open in two applications at the same time, there is a "lock file" which is saved to disk when one of the applications has the library open. Normally when you quit Aperture (or iPhoto), it will delete the lock file, and so you won't see this message.

If the library is open in Aperture or iPhoto and one of them crashes, the lock file persists and you can see something like this. If you had issues during migration and force quit Aperture, it's possible this is what's going on. And then in general removing the lock file resolves the issue.

I haven't done enough digging in the Aperture library to know exactly where it stores this lock file, but I'm certain it does so.

The Library "Aperture ...." is open in (null)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.