Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latency (yes, again)

Hi, sorry to be the latest person to bring this up. I've been through heaps of forums, including this one, tried all the fixes and none seem to work.

My problem: about a half-second latency when playing an electric guitar into Garageband.

SETUP: Electric Guitar going straight into a PRESONUS Audiobox USB (just into channel one on the front); USB out of there into a new Imac.

I have set the output to either INBUILT or Audiobox USB at various times; both have the same latency problem.

There's no problem getting a signal--it sounds fine--it's just the latency that I can't fix.

Somewhere I read that you can go into Garageband>Preferences>Audio/MIDI and select "minimum delay". Guess what? I don't even have that feature in garageband. All I've got under Audio/MIDI is a drop-down box for Output (with three options) and a drop-down box for Input (with three options), and a Keyboard Sensitivity slider. Nothing about setting "minimum delay".

Restarting and shutting down the computer, restarts of GB don't work.

Is there something simple I'm missing? The GB help function is no help.

The Presonus Audiobox USB is supposedly a "compliant device", not requiring drivers.

Desperate for help. Thanks in advance.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 4:36 AM

1 reply

Jul 9, 2012 8:07 AM in response to hansard5

Well, here's the solution, folks: if you are using a USB extension cable (so you can have the Presonus box a little further away), then STOP DOING THAT. Just run a single, non-extension, USB cable from the box to the computer, and all latency problems vanish, as if by a miracle. I mean... how long did I sit here tonight, cursing Presonus and Apple, swearing at the cat, and all the while failing to do the most basic thing a musician should do if sound is not working properly--CHECK THE LEADS AND CONNECTIONS. (Dear Lord, I pray that, in thy wisdom, thou hast created at least one person more stupid than me, so that I might not be regarded as the most stupid in thy creation.) Amen!

Latency (yes, again)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.